Should I buy the 1st Gen or 2nd Gen?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Fr3shY, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Fr3shY

Fr3shY New Member

Hi.

I'm going to be buying an iTouch this week or the next at latest and want your opinion on which. 1st gen or 2nd?

Please post which generation and why if possible? Btw, I'm freshy.

Also, please post opinion on jailbreaking, advantages and what not. That's my only concern, I mean like buying the 2g and waiting 3mo-1yr for it to be jailbroken. Anyhow, I want like a lot of those games that you see on like the iTouch ads like the racing game, ect... for free.

Are there still good apps you can get without jailbreaking it for free?

Thanks.
    Fr3shY
  2. dean11

dean11 New Member

get the 2g because

1. it has volume buttons
    2. it has a speaker
    3. it looks better
    4. the 1st gen is outdated

if you really really want to theme your ipod that much (jailbreak) then buy a 1st gen but IMO jailbreaking doesent bring anything worthwhile

BTW, i myself only have a 1st gen and have jailbroken it before
  3. sjleworthy

sjleworthy New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    always strive to buy the latest. 2g is the latest.

i agree on the jailbreaking. it never excited me too much.
  4. Fr3shY

Fr3shY New Member

Well yeah, I wanted the new technology such as BT + FM Tuner, plus it has speakers which is just really useful at times, but I'm worried about the jailbreak. I mean, I'm sure it'll come sometime within the next year, but the question is, is it worth paying a bit more+having to wait?
  5. Pilk

Pilk New Member

The 2G iPod Touch doesn't have bluetooth or an FM tuner. You can get apps from the app store that give you online radio, but not an FM tuner. And no bluetooth at all, if thats what you meant when you said BT (im not down with the lingo..)

Despite this get the 2G. If you get the first gen you will be dying for the volume control and the speaker, and it's pretty as hell. The 1G just doesn't compare. And jailbreaking doesn't offer much anymore apart from customization, which can get boring.
  6. Fr3shY

Fr3shY New Member

Umm.. I think you're wrong about the BT and FM Tuner though. I have done my fair share of reading and from what I know, the hardware is within the iPod Touch 2G, although it there is nothing that can utilize it as of yet, I assume a future fw upgrade would allow it to work.

Also, aside from customization (look-wise), it's the apps part about jailbreaking that really helps. See, I'm on a tight budget now and I could get an 8gb 1G from BB for $200 or my alternative 8gb 2G refurb from Apple Store for $185.

In essence, I'd be paying a bit more, although it would be new and jailbreakable and the 15$ is no big deal for me. So, also cheaper compared to a new 2G for $229.

~Fr3shY
  7. Functional Disorder

Functional Disorder New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    But really the only reason you want to jailbraek is for free apps as you mentioned in your original post..... tsk tsk...shame on you
    "Anyhow, I want like a lot of those games that you see on like the iTouch ads like the racing game, ect... for free."
  8. fckinfamous

fckinfamous Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I HAVE NEVER SEEN ONE GOOD GAME, SUCH AS THE ONES THEY SHOW ON THE COMMERCIALS IN THE GAME SECTION IN INSTALLER OR CYDIA, SO THEREFORE YOUR BETTER OFF PAYING FOR THEM IF YOU WANT GAMES LIKE THAT,DONT BE CHEAP!!

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. Functional Disorder

Functional Disorder New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I don't know if your anger is directed at me but I'm telling the OP "shame on him" for wanting to get free apps...
    So I'm going to assume you were directing your venom at OP....(where it should be properly directed)
  10. fckinfamous

fckinfamous Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Sorry bout that, no anger here.

Please Register or Log in to view images