Should I Buy Canon EOS 500D or 550D?

Discussion in 'Graphics, Design, and Photography' started by the goat, Sep 14, 2010.

1. the goat

the goat Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I want to buy a DSLR in the next few months, but the bad thing is I barely know anything about photography, but I am deepy interested. My uncle is a very good photographer and has about 50 DSLR cameras, and he recommended me either the Canon 500D or 550D. I went on the Canon website and compared the specs, I found very little difference and those I did, were meaningless to me. Now for an amateur which one do you think is more suitable? I believe the 550 is the newer model hence being about £150 more. Also I would be greatful if someone could describe me (in the plainest English) the meaning of the lens measurements, eg. 18-55mm. I haven't a clue what that means and I'm pretty sure I'll need to know that in photography xD
  2. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    I've got the 500D myself, and more recently a used 30D. If I were buying for the first time I 'd go the extra stretch for the 550D. Those 'meaningless' differences will become pretty apparent once you start to really get into the it.

And as far as focal length goes (18-55mm etc.) goes, the greater the number, the higher the zoom factor, and the lower the number, the more wide-angle. Tamron has a wonderful focal length simulator on their site.
  3. the goat

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Thank you so much, and cheers for the link, really helped me out

Please Register or Log in to view images

But I'm guessing as 18-55mm is standard with most models its just 4:3 and has 3x optical zoom if I'm not mistaken?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    One more thing. When choosing my memory card, does it HAVE to be one of the really expensive high speed ones like 30mb/sec because it's a DSLR? I heard somewhere it has to be a really fancy not just any old 16GB SD Card
  4. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    18-55 is around the standard kit lens for most cameras. 18mm is a nice wide angle, and 55mm is very good for portraits. Those would be the two I shoot with the most, and most in between is generally just in case I need to fix up the framing.

At the moment I've got the kit, a telephoto (80-200mm for distance), and a 50mm prime. The prime is fixed zoom, but with a much greater optical quality. Also got an old 35-80 I use for film.

I always say though, it's what your taking pictures of, not what you're taking pictures with. Basically, don't get more focused on your camera than your photos!

Feel free to hit me up with any questions down the line.

Also looking at a Lensbaby too.

5. the goat

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Thanks, so the 18mm means when the lens is on 0% zoom and 55mm means when it's on 100%? Haha I sound like such a noob, could you answer the memory card question swell please if it's ok, thanks

6. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    @ Shåwa
    Great answers i am interested on this as well, and i am curious do you have an answer for the OP question:
  7. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    If you want to shoot very fast, very high quality, you'd want a fast write speed. The write speed basically influences the time it takes after taking a photo that you can take another.

As far as I know, most modern cameras have a large enough temporary space to hold captures before writing to the card.

Basically, you only really need to worry about it if you will be taking lots and lots of large images in quick succession. You needn't worry if you're just taking day to day shots.
  8. the goat

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    By 'lots of images in quick succession' what do you mean? Like more than one a second? Because the 550 can only shoot 3.7 fps I believe obviously I won't really be doing that but I do like taking large bursts of photos
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Yeah Shawa, this is really good info you're giving out her really helpful not just for me but other newbie photographers who don't have a clue

great work man

Sorry the first paragraph didn't make sense. So if I don't have a high speed memory card, I won't be able to shoot eg. 30 images in quick succession of 3fps? It will just fail?
  9. the goat

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Guys does anyone know how many mb each 18MP photo would be on the 550D? Because I'm not sure which size memory card to get how many photos would 16GB hold?
  10. MrNuggets

MrNuggets Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    your uncle has about 50 DSLRs

OT: get the 7D or the 500D, 2 of the best DSLRs.