Should I buy a Shure headphone or Bose headphone?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by umich fan, Feb 5, 2008.

1. umich fan

umich fan New Member

I'm really liking my 8gb ipod touch (though now I wish I had purchased the 16gb considering Apple just released a 32gb version). Who knows, I can always sell mine later and upgrade. In the meantime, I'm thinking of upgrading my headphones. The two brands I have in mind are Shure (a poster on this forum recommended it to me) and Bose. I was able to test the Bose at Apple store (Bose On Ear headphones) and to me it sounds really nice. The biggest drawback is the steep $179.95 price. As far as Shure goes, I hear Shure is a highly respected name in the business. (their cheapest model is priced at $99, most expensive selling for $399). Any advice? Thanks.
  2. drkassassin

drkassassin New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i have the cheapest model of shure and have been using it for 2 years now
    and i must tell you that they are simply AMAZING
    never had a problem with them and there are sooo many sleeves to choose from
    you will definitely find a comfortable fit for the amazing sound
  3. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I have Bose Tri-port headphones, and I think they're excellent. I'm no audiophile, though I am a musician and I have a very good ear. I have the around ear ones which are $40 less I believe, but they still sound great.
  4. beno

beno New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I've have the Bose Tri-Port headphones too. I've been using them for two years and they still have crystal clear quality.
  5. sescallier

sescallier New Member

Shure, there isnt even a question in that regard.
  6. GarnetNGold

GarnetNGold Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I have the standard earphones that come with the iPod Touch and there they BEST!!!!!
  7. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Oh yeah, I can't believe that they give those things away with the iPods. They're like Bose + Shure + Jesus!

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. lqv2015

lqv2015 New Member

Check out this site for all your headphones/earphones questions.

www.head-fi.org

They know EVERYTHING.
  9. mikesgroove

mikesgroove New Member

Yeah Head-Fi is definitely the place for audio advice. They are rabid for good sound over there. I recently bought the v-moda vibes and after the burn-in I have to say that I love them. The camps are divided over them. They same to be love/hate. I used head-fi in muy research, and there is like a 140 page thread about them. The thread starts of in full praise of the vibes, and by the end, there is that division. I think they sound amazing for the price. There are many on head-fi who would disagree. I think the 2nd gen of the vibes has some build issues that left a sour taste in people's mouths.

But for me, I have the most recent gen (3rd or 4th, they've had several builds) and I think they have such a full, warm sound. Great bass, warm mids, and sparkling highs. It's definitely important to have your library be ripped at a high bitrate or lossless if possible for the best sound. Good buds will pick up the impurities of highly compressed music. They're light and seem sturdy. And they're the only IEMs that I could get to fit in my ears.

I'm not a huge fan of Bose. From what I can tell, they have decent enough sound, but aren't worth they're price tag. I think the vibes are much better. I checked out Shures, and they are definitely nice. Especially the higher priced models. I don't like the over-the-ear way you have to wear them for best sound. And I feel that they (the lower end models) lack the full bass that I crave. Between Bose and Shure, I would go for Shure, for sure.

Check out head-fi.

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. iTriple

iTriple New Member

I have the low end Shure that you speak of. I have had them for about four months, and I love them. I did a little research before buying them, and for the money, the Shure's beat out the Bose. These are my first pair of noise canceling headphones...and I am impressed.