Should Apple Drop AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by twigster9, Jul 27, 2009.

?

Should Apple Drop AT&T?

1. Yes, AT&T sucks!

28 vote(s)
    50.9%
  2. No, AT&T is awsome.

20 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. I dont care.

6 vote(s)
    10.9%
  4. Whats an AT&T?

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. twigster9

twigster9 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Personally, i think that Apple not only should drop AT&T but needs to so that it can expand its US iPhone base. All of the other carriers are safe havens for other cell manufactures. If Apple drops AT&T and pics up Verizon than over 80+ million additional people can get the iPhone. 34% of people say that they wont get an iPhone because of AT&T. AT&T has dropped the ball with customer service, network coverage/maintenance/upgrades, competitive prices, MMS, and iPhone tethering. AT&T is Apple's limiting factor. I think Apple will drop AT&T next year and if they dont then WTF are they thinking?

Tell Apple to Drop AT&T

EDIT: Apple's 5 year iPhone exclusivity deal with AT&T ends next year. Sorry i just thought that everyone knew.

Update:
    If Apple ends their exclusivity with AT&T they wont stop supporting the iPhone and stop providing customer support. And things like visual voice mail are done from the carriers end not Apple's. Dont be ridiculous. The point of Apple not renewing their contract with AT&T is to become available to a wider user base not to join one and completely shut out another.
  2. t.ara

t.ara Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I wish apple can just sell the phone with the contract thing.
    Where I live they don't got AT&T or Verizon.
    So I can't get the iPhone.
    Actually IT&E Kinda reminds me if they are AT&T, but I don't think so.
    I hope they actually drop at&t.
  3. KerrWasHere

KerrWasHere Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Um verison sucks, sprint sucks, us cellular sucks. AT&T sucks less, duh

and they have more money, money always wins
  4. xenorecor

xenorecor New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hell ya they should drop it!! I've been waiting forever for them to pick up verizon. Be so much better for them.
  5. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Why would Apple create a GSM phone for use around the world, and a CDMA phone for use almost exclusively in N. America?

It simply not as profitable.

The only hope for Verizon is it's 4G network which is supposed to be GSM. However, it would be a backwards-compatibility nightmare.
  6. twigster9

twigster9 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Im not sure exactly what your saying buy your saying AT&T has a lot of money and the iPhone should be on it for that reason? Heres the thing, Apple dropped the revenue sharing model they had with the 2G iPhone so the only thing that matter to them money wise is how many they sell. AT&T lags all major carriers except T-Mobile in 3G coverage, reliability, and yes, speed despite what AT&T claims. Dropping AT&T means that Apple is open to sell more iPhones one more carriers. There is no way Apple will stop sellings iPhones on AT&T if they drop them.
  7. Vesper

Vesper Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Apple cannot drop AT&T. But that can opt not to renew an exclusivity contract with them if they don't get their network up to par by the time their current 5 year contract is up. And now with news that AT&T will probably not be ready to fully support all of the iPhone's features till 4th quarter 2010 or later they might be more willing to hop in bed with sprint or verizon. But seriously, AT&T has made apple sh*tloads of money in the time they've been partnered so they might feel that once the new network is up AT&T's reach/resources can be of benefit to them.
  8. twigster9

twigster9 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    AT&T and Verizon are set to start putting up their LTE networks (4G) next year. So its a perfect time to drop AT&T and announce the iPhone 4G on a 4G network.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Im talking about Apple dropping (not renewing) AT&T next year which is when their 5 year contract is over.
  9. KerrWasHere

KerrWasHere Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    AT&T is way better thsn most of the other carriers, i have acually had most carriers at some time, except us cellular and AT&T gives me the most bars and least droped calls (just like the commercials). It was better before the iPhone came out, then the problems with the network came
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    You must have verison
  10. Renegade

Renegade Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I would be EXTREMELY UNHAPPY if Apple cut off At&t... Let's bring the iPhone over to Verizon, Which will lead to millions of sales. The iPhone will not only be used around the world, But it will become a bore. One of the greatest things about the iPhone, Is it's nicer than the phones around you. How would you feel if EVERYONE had iPhones? They wouldn't seem to great in my opinion. In fact, I would think about downgrading back to an iPod Touch and getting some other sort of phone.

At&t relies on Apple like Humans with Air. I'd say around a quarter of At&t users have switched to them because of the iPhone. Without the iPhone's exclusivity, I'd say At&t wouldn't be doing NEARLY as well. You also have to remember though, That Apple has gained a very high amount of money from At&t. A VERY high amount.

For some reason though, I feel as though you've only posted this thread because your angry about At&t not supporting some features. You've got to understand that THEY HAVE A REASON! It's not like they're torturing you. Once At&t is able to present the features, They will.