Sharing Internet Connections with firmware 3.0

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 3.0' started by humblepie, May 29, 2009.

1. humblepie

humblepie New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hi all,

first off i am new here. not an owner yet but i am really fascinated about the ipod touch firmware and how you can use it as a pda.

i got the news that the latest firmware 3.0 will activate bluetooth capabilities but the question is to what extend.

what i think will be very helpful is if internet sharing can be performed via bluetooth. currently i have a treo 750 which sadly do not have wifi, but it does have bluetooth.

with wifi we can use software such as wmwifirouter and another software for nokia phones to enable u to surf net on your ipod touch where ever you are.

it would be really great if this is available by default. if not, i hope someone will develop something like this using the api.
  2. Gotanks0407

Gotanks0407 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    internet tethering is enabled through bluetooth so yeah you should be all good
  3. pody08

pody08 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    thats for iphone though. He has an IPod Touch
  4. humblepie

humblepie New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    thanks for the input guys. you mean that with firmware 3.0 we also cannot have internet tethering to the ipod touch?
  5. Ghost_Fang

Ghost_Fang New Member

I dont know about first gen, but i messed with 3.0 Beta 5 on my 2nd gen, and it has built in bluetooth, thats all i know... hoped that helped
  6. pody08

pody08 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    no tethering is only available to iPhone 3g and 1st gen
  7. humblepie

humblepie New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i wonder why is that? doesnt it have bluetooth, does it mean apple deliberately block it?
  8. shiben589

shiben589 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    guys, tethering is using a phone network to turn your device into a rounter sio that other devices can have wifi, if your ipod is using the internet, you already have wifi, therefore tethering is absolutely useless.
  9. humblepie

humblepie New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i see your point there. which i think i mistakenly lead to the wrong way.

what i meant to say is that i do not know what you guys call this, i know its not tethering but whether i can surf net on the go if i have a bluetooth phone and my ipod access the internet through it via bluetooth.

thanks and regards.
  10. Thirteen-Ten

Thirteen-Ten New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Tethering is using your cell phone as a modem using the data connection to the cellular network. Typical tethering involves connecting your phone to a laptop or desktop through USB or bluetooth connection and loading it as a dial-up modem.

Im pretty sure the OP is wondering whether this will be capable on the Touch when bluetooth is unlocked with the 3.0 update. So far i havent seen anyone prove that this wont be possible, but many say that the bluetooth is only going to allow a headphone/headset connection and connectivity to other Touch's/iPhone's for multiplayer games without wifi connection.