Setting up WiFi

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Pato, May 31, 2010.

1. Pato

Pato New Member

I have several email address on my Desktop which I would like to duplicate on my new Ipod Touch. Can I do this when I don't have a wireless router at home.? Any help appreciated.
  2. deleted account 92

deleted account 92 Active Member

You can add multiple emails to the mail app if that's what you're asking, but if you don't have wireless internet at home, you won't be able to check your mail.
  3. Pato

Pato New Member

At present amongst others I have a Hotmail and Gmail account. I want to be able to access these from my Ipod when I am away from home. Do I need a wireless connection to set this up and do I need a wireless router at home to be able to access these accounts. If so I would have to leave my router on.?
  4. deleted account 92

I believe you do need to have a wireless connection when you set up accounts. You can access all mail that has already been checked without connection, but you can't send or check for new mail without a connection. And you would only need the router on if you want to check or send email. You could turn it off if you want to when you aren't using it.
  5. Pato

Pato New Member

OIC. I need to find a Wifi spot to set up my email. Then if I am away from home for some weeks or so I can't check new emails unless I have a wireless router at home and it is left switched on.?
    I was considering getting a wireless router to replace my Cable/DSL router but it really means the Ipod is a bit useless for that purposes then. Appreciate your comments. Thanks.
  6. deleted account 92

I don't think you understand what a router does. It creates a wireless internet connection throughout a certain range around it. If you are away from home, you do not need the router at your house to be turned on in order to check your email. You just need a router around you to be turned on. If you are school or work, you will not be able to check your email from your router at home, you will only be able to check it if there is a wireless internet connection nearby.

Hope that helps.
  7. Pato

Pato New Member

Yes thanks. I just need to be able to access WiFi to connect to the internet to enable me to check emails etc. Appreciate you taking the time to explain it. Cheers.