Setting up an Ad Hoc wireless network

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Walder, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Walder

Walder New Member

Hey everyone, sorry to post a new thread but I couldnt find any information on this.

I'm getting a 16GB Touch for christmas and I want to JailBreak it and use its WiFi capabilities at home.
    However I have a wired LAN and do not have a wireless router. I understand that it is possible to set up so called Ad Hoc WiFi "network" using just a PCI or USB wireless adapter.

I intend to buy a wireless g USB adapter and plug it in to my desktop pc, wich is directly connected to my router via Ethernet.
    Does anyone know if it possible to forward my internet connection through the wirless USB adapter and communicate successfully with the iPod Touch?

Please Register or Log in to view images

cheers people

2. lance713

lance713 New Member

You can get a decent wireless router for about the same price of a good adapter.

you're better off doing that.. less hassle plus a wireless router has much more use.
  3. Walder

Walder New Member

yea I was thinking that, but I already have a decent router (Draytek Vigor 2800).
    also, if I could set up Ad Hoc WiFi with a USB adapter, I could take it to a friends house and have WiFi on my Touch there too.

Maybe I will just purchase a Wireless access point and connect it to the Draytek's Ethernet Switch. I guess that will be much less of a headache!
    I hear that the Linksys WAP54G is a good piece of kit for this job?

Just to check, will a Wireless access point such as the Linksys WAP54G suffice, or do I actually need a wireless router?

Sorry for all the questions but I have no experience with wireless networking at all!

cheers for the fast response

4. m26k9

m26k9 New Member

yes you can do it... I'm currently doing it...
    Just connected a USB wireless adapter to your PC and bridge the connection with your ethernet connection.. make sure your wireless adapter can act as an AP...