Set up webcam to watch it away from home?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by aaronrivera, Apr 1, 2009.

1. aaronrivera

aaronrivera New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I wanted to set my webcam up to watch while I'm away from home so I can check up on my dog every hour or so, but every app I've tried doesn't fulfill the needs. So far I've used these apps:

OrbLive: The problem was it's nice for media, but when I try to connect to my camera it always fails even when I switch the Wifi connection to a lower speed.

AirCam: This one you can only watch when you're on the same Wifi connection the computer you're streaming from. So it's pointless when I'm at my Grandmas house or at school and connected to Wifi.

iCam: Again you can only view the webcam you're streaming if you're on the same Wifi connection.

Now what I'm looking for is a way to set either iCam or AirCam to let me view my webcam on a different Wifi connection. Or another app that can let me do that. OrbLive would be perfect if it would actually connect.
  2. Wiizz

Wiizz New Member

Why does your dog need checking up on? Sorry for offtopic.
    I am actually want this for me as well.
  3. aaronrivera

aaronrivera New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well it's not just for my dog. It can be used as a security camera or whatever. And to answer your question. I just like checking up on him to see if hes alright and see what hes doing. Haven't you every wondered what your pet was doing while you were out

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. Wiizz

Wiizz New Member

Only have a cat at the moment. When I first read the title name I was thinking you thought your wife was cheating or something, lmao.
  5. ipNinja

ipNinja New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Run IIS (if windows, or any other webserver) on you pc and set it up so your webcam has a constant tream into the page.

Then open up port 80 or 443 (http / https) to redirect to your PC's local IP.

Point your iPod's browser at your external IP address. Done.

If you have a static IP look into using a DynamicDNS service so you can point to a host name that will "find" your static IP address.

Simple enough to do, i do the same thing when i go snowboarding.

I recommend using a password for the http connection to.

It's not the most secure thing in the world but that depends on how well IIS is setup and how strong your hardware firewall is.
  6. aaronrivera

aaronrivera New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I dont reallh know where to start with this but thanks anyways I may br able to figure it out though.

@Wiiz I never even considered someone thinking about it like that lol. Funny thought but Im to young to be married.

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. Ruamrudee

Ruamrudee Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Search My Webcam in the AppStore
  8. WallStreetGuru

WallStreetGuru New Member

hello and welcome tothe forum