serious laptop crash,need some advice please

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by amanda-jane, May 1, 2009.

1. amanda-jane

amanda-jane New Member

my laptop has crashed and needs to be restored back to original settings. I am not in a position to back up my Itunes to a disc as the laptop is comletely dead ( going back to Acer for them to repair ),my question is this,my entire Itunes library is on the laptop,when it comes back i know it will be gone,my iPod obviously has everything on it that was in Itunes,when the laptop comes back,if i reinstal Itunes and plug my Ipod in,will i then lose everything on my iPod,or can i then transfer everything from my iPod back into the newly installed Itunes.
    advice pleaseeeeeee.....
  2. Jacob

Jacob Well-Known Member

You can transfer music from your ipod to your computer by doing this:
    1. Go to control panel, click folder options and check show hidden files and folders.
    2. Go to your ipod find ipod control, double click it and go to music select all the f01, f02 and such and copy them to a folder on your desktop.
    3. Go to iTunes and click file add folder to library.
    4. Find the folder select it and click ok.
    That will work I have tested it. If not search google for ipod to computer and you will find a GUI to do it for you.
  3. cameleon1267

cameleon1267 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I don't know what is the problem with your computer (hardware or software), but you could try to boot the computer using a live CD (ubuntu), access your itunes library and save all your songs to an external hard drive.
  4. Jacob

Jacob Well-Known Member

Actually he couldn't because ubuntu cannot access NFTS file systems.
  5. cameleon1267

cameleon1267 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    ubuntu can read NTFS file system with no problem so you can copy files out of a ntfs partition to a fat32 one. it is for writing on ntfs that you need to install some extra libraries.
  6. Jacob

Jacob Well-Known Member

Strange it didn't work for me...