Serious battery problem

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iPodMyPants, Sep 20, 2010.

1. iPodMyPants

iPodMyPants New Member

Everything is great on my new iPod except the battery. It's pathetic. It doesn't hold any more charge than my two year old 2g. The meter is whacky. One minute I'm getting a 55% reading, the next a 50% reading, and then back again, or up 10 points. It shuts off and requests to be charged when down to 20%. And worst of all, it's very slow to recharge. As a matter of fact its been stuck at 60% for the last few hours.

I think I'm going to back it up and do a system restore. If that doesn't work I'll return it. What a shame.
  2. lunchmeats101

lunchmeats101 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Yeah, that sounds odd. My battery is really good, it lasts long when you would expect it to discharge in a femtosecond. It also recharges fast.

Yeah, if a restore doesn't work, then return it.
  3. micro_hard

micro_hard Active Member

Device:
    iPad mini
  4. r56mcs

r56mcs Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    that sounds bad..
  5. iAwesome

iAwesome New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    It could be that it's showing 55% when you're listening to music, and 50% when playing games, because after my experience the battery meter adapts to your use.
  6. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    That's exactly right. The system "allocates" battery depending on what you are doing to correctly predict when you will die. But will put some back (or take some) when you do different things. It's kinda' hard to understand/hard to explain.
  7. iPodMyPants

iPodMyPants New Member

I restored my iPod and did some testing to see if the battery improved. It didn't. It'll do strange things like charge all the way up when charging...and then lose about 20% power a few minutes later. I also noticed I had to turn wifi off to keep it from getting stuck at around 80% when charging.

Anyways, I bought it at the local Apple Store. Do you think I'll have any trouble getting it exchanged at the Apple store? Today they said they were out of the 32gigs so hopefully they'll have some tomorrow. Will I have to pay a 10% restocking fee? I was under the impression the Apple store was THE best place to get your iPod. Reading some of the threads on here makes me wonder.
  8. tinyman392

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Are you charging it through a wall charger, or USB on PC? Some 3rd party wall chargers aren't compatible with the iPod Touch 4G.

If you bring it to the Apple Store, they will give you a refurbished iPod Touch 4G.
  9. iPodMyPants

iPodMyPants New Member

Charging it with usb that came with it to my PC. I tested the cable with my old iPod and worked fine.

I guess I'll have to call the store, make an appointment with the "genius" bar and hope they exchange on the spot. Hopefully I can hold my temper otherwise. I talked to a girl on the phone but she didn't seem very sympathetic to my battery problem. How are you suppose to prove the battery is bad on the spot? Would they have refurbished ones there already?
  10. tinyman392

Device:
    iPhone 6
    They'll run diagnostics on the battery. If they don't find anything, they may or may not get you a refurb. Because the iPod is a new model that was released recently, they may not have refurbs there. But if they do, you'll get one.