sensitiviy of accelerometer

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by coolkid, Sep 26, 2007.

1. coolkid

coolkid New Member

how sensitive is the actual accelerometer?
    -is it only capable of knowing if the ipoT is right side up, or tilted left or right?
    -is it capable of knowing to a certain degree how far the ipoT it tilted left or right
    -can it determin if the ipoT is tilted forwards or backwards?
    -can it mesure acceleration/deacceleration?

the video on the apple website about the accelerometer lead me to beleive that it can only sense down in 4 directions. the video says it used a silicon block in a magnetic feild and that when it is tilted it disrupts current around the block showing witch way is up. but in the video it only shows 4 points on the block that would disrupt the feild? was this just to simplify the actual way it works? or is it only capable of knowing down in 4 directions. if this is the case then it would be hard to impliment this into games and apps.
  2. MTBPatriot

MTBPatriot New Member

Well, I'll answer your questions from my experience:
    - If you have the iPot straight facing the ceiling and tilt it to the right or left, it will 95% of the time detect that very quickly.
    - You have to tilt it almost completely horizontally for it to detect the switch (which I like because it prevented a partial-slant from accidentally going into coverflow)
    - It can't detect if the screen is tilted forwards or backwards, or atleast doesn't show that it can.
    - It definitely doesn't measure acceleration/deceleration

Keep in mind this thing isn't supposed to have the capabilities of a Wiimote!
  3. hoagie

hoagie New Member

it can only do it in 4 directions, and even then it's only for the photos app....2 directions for music, and 3 for safari i believe.
  4. coolkid

coolkid New Member

iphone can

ive seen apps on the iphone that can measure pretty accuatly the tilt of left and right. but was wondering if this is posible on the ipoT. if they have the same accelerometer then it shouldent be a problem for the games. the wiki on ipod touch says its a 3 axis accelerometer, but who knows if thats true when theres no way to test it.