Sennheiser HD 650

Discussion in 'Audiophiles: Headphones, Earphones, etc.' started by Korea, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Korea

Korea Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Agree or disagree, Sennheiser HD 650 headphones are completely worth the $350 price tag on Amazon.com? I'm considering to get these headphones when I have the money. I recently got the Sennheiser HD 428 headphones and was disappointed to find that my JVC aircushions were ten times better. Thanks for any opinions! Oh and I'd appreciate Chungsters thoughts on the matter

Please Register or Log in to view images

I know he's in love with those Grado headphones..
  2. Ihrm

Ihrm New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    What kind of source are you using? Do you have an amp? These headphones need a good amp and an good source. You wouldnt want to be using these out of an iPod. You would want lossless files on a pc and run them through a DAC, or have a good CD player or have a vinyl setup. These headphones are also really dark, just to let you know.

EDIT: What kind of music do you use? The grados are arguably the best rock headphones around. Maybe the HD650 are the wrong type of headphones for you.
  3. Korea

Korea Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yeah my source would mainly be my iPod Touch and sometimes through my computer system. I also considered getting Those $299 Bose headphones from Bestbuy. I listen to Korean Pop music mostly, then again I listen to pretty much any kind of music that's popular.
  4. Ihrm

Ihrm New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well if you will be using an iPod to drive these then you will be wasting your money. You would definitely want an amp for HD650 and a dedicated home setup (PC with lossess to a DAC, or vinyl or CDs). The grados are pretty good unamped out of an iPod. They range from sub $100(SR60i) to more than $1000 (PS1000i) so there is something for everyone.
  5. Korea

Korea Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Thanks Ihrm, I'll definetely get those. What is your opinion on the Bose Around Ear Headphones? ($139)
  6. Ihrm

Ihrm New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    The bose are generally over priced. They arent bad headphones but youre paying for the brand. You'll get a lot more for your money if you go with the Grados. The Grados do have a distinct sound to them though. Some people love them some hate it. I've never really listened to korean pop, so I'm not sure it would be like coming out of Graods, but I can tell you that they are one of the best cans around for rock music.
  7. Dónde?

Dónde? New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I'd go for beats, but that's just me.
  8. EBOBO

EBOBO New Member

It is just for you.

HD650's are worth every cent if you have the equipment to back it up.
  9. Ihrm

Ihrm New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    That they are, but he obviously doesn't have the gear. You would end up paying at least what you payed for the headphones on gear just to drive the headphones then not to mention your source. And yes beats do suck. Worst build quality I've ever seen, even worse than Skull Candy. They are also really really bass heavy and it isnt even nice bass. The bass is quite muddy. The grados are a great way to start off so are the Senneheiser HD555s or HD595 if you want a little higher end materials. The audio technica AD700 are also great for the price, but are huge so they might not be practical for mobile use.
  10. Korea

Korea Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    If you compared the Sennheiser HD555's to the Grado sr60i's which one do you think would be better based off sound quality, comfort, and durability?

Oh one more thing, I noticed when I tested out the Bose headphones at BestBuy the sound quality just amazed me, everything was clear and crisp. Will I feel the same way about the Grado sr60i's?

**Another edit** I read how the Grado's leak A LOT of sound so I decided that I would either go for the Sennheiser HD 555's or the Audio Technica ATH-A700. What I'm looking for is mainly noise cancellation while having good sound. So I'll wait for your reply Ihrm

Please Register or Log in to view images

Thanks for the tips on headphones by the way!

ALRIGHT! Final edit. Decided to go with the Denon AH-NC732 noice cancelling headphones!