Sending in Jailbroken iPod Touch to Apple

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Chamilism, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Chamilism

Chamilism New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    Here's my story. Okay so my iPod Touch 2g (3.1.2 firmware) has been jailbroken with blackra1n for about a month now. Nothing is wrong with the iPod System, everything works fine and fast. Well my iPod Touch's Headphone jack is bad, when I put in headphones and play a song all I get is static, sometimes I can only hear from one side, etc. Currently it's really bad all I hear is static. (Speaker works normal). I still have the 1 year warranty with the iPod. I called apple and they said it's perfectly fine to send it in an they will fix or replace.
    its a hardware failure or due to tear and I've tried different audio sources and dozens of different earbuds/headphones.
    What are the steps I should take to completely remove the jailbreak?

Should I just go into iTunes, press the "Restore" button and I'm finished?
    Should I put the iPod into recovery mode, then restore it?
    Do I need to put it into DFU? <-- don't really want.
    Do I have to use the "Erase All Content and Settings" feature?

What are the steps to reduce the risk of Apple finding out I jailbroke my iPod Touch?

Thanks,
    Chamilism
  2. insanerist

insanerist New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Just restore it and if the jack still doesn't work, send it in. They won't know it was jailbroken if you restore. They will NOT fix it while it is jailbroken.
  3. LssThanThree

LssThanThree Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Just hit restore and you're set.
  4. imranh101

imranh101 Active Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    I'm not concerned or anything, and not trying to contradict anyone, but what if there was some way apple could check boot histories or some wierd thing and see...
    nevermind.
  5. Chamilism

Chamilism New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    So that's it hit restore? I'm good? I read in a couple places that like an apple Genius could check if It has been Jailbroken and stuff and people were saying that you have to use the Erase All Content and Settings feature that takes a long time then you have to put it in DFU and THEN restore it. hmm guess you don't have to do that?

And it's a hardware malfunction or normal tear and ware from removing and inserting headphones too many times.
  6. NinetyFour

NinetyFour Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I was told that to completely wipe your jailbreak from your iPod, you have to DFU restore (hold home and power button for 10 seconds, then let go of power button and hold home button for 5 more seconds) and then it should be good I guess.
  7. Chamilism

Chamilism New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    Hmm if I put it in DFU mode iTunes can still recognize it, like the same as I would put it in Recovery mode (Connect to Itunes Screen) ?
  8. Cl8rs

Cl8rs Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yes. It will show a blank(black) screen.
  9. Chamilism

Chamilism New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    Okay So best thing to do is put it in DFU mode? And this will completely remove the jailbreak? Well I don't really care if they don't fix it, I have an adapter but it would be good. I'll tell you guy if they fix it. Wish me good luck
  10. LssThanThree

LssThanThree Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Again, just hit restore and you're all good.
    Just make sure that when it's done that your iPod doesn't restore from a backup.