Semi-Tethered Jailbreak?

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by xvenom89, Feb 11, 2009.

1. xvenom89

xvenom89 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    What's the point? I mean, seriously. What is the use of this if third party applications such as Cydia (etc..) will not run? How is this any different from the Official firmware? I just don't see any use or point in this, so if somebody would kindly explain, I'd appreciate it..
  2. red_5

red_5 Member

This makes it so you can actually use your ipod if/when it shuts off and the patch is wiped from the ram.

Then you find a computer, boot the patch, and tada, jailbreak is fully functional again.
  3. idk761

idk761 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    So you still have function of your ipod touch when you need to reboot.
    Lets say your own a 6 hour plane flight, and all of the sudden your ipod touch shutsdown by itself. If you have a semi tethered you will still be able to listen to music, watch videos and play your official games.

Now if you had a tethered and it shutdowns on the flight, you have a very long flight ahead of you.
  4. SeThORamma4

SeThORamma4 New Member

so with semi-tether all of your jailbroken apps will not work after a reboot though?
  5. xvenom89

xvenom89 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    So basically the process is to semi jailbreak it (restore?) and then put it into DFU and run some terminal commands to enable the jailbreak every time it powers down to enable jailbreaking. I like the benefits, nonetheless.
  6. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    OK.

Old (tethered Jailbreak)

Your ipod is jailbroken. You reboot your ipod. The only way to turn it back on again is to do the commands from a computer.

New (Semi tethered Jailbreak)

Think of your ipod as having 2 modes. A jailbroken mode and a non jailbroken mode. When you boot your ipod normaly, without connecting it to a computer it boots into the non jailbroken mode. When you plug your ipod in like in the Old tethered jb, you run the commands and it boots into the jailbroken mode. This is better as if your ipod turns off when you dont want it to and your not near a computer. You can still turn it on and have all the features of a non jailbroken ipod until you can find another computer to boot it back into jailbreak mode.
  7. ojoj1010

ojoj1010 Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ok but if you boot it into non jailbreak mode then through the computer are you still gonna have all your jailbreak stuff there.
  8. red_5

red_5 Member

My understanding is that it will all still be there, but you won't be able to run any jb apps or use themes and stuff.