[Semi In-depth Review] BSE (Best Skins Ever)

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by rafarquhar, Oct 23, 2008.

1. rafarquhar

rafarquhar New Member

Please Register or Log in to view images

BSE REVIEW
    (More pictures at the end)
    Link to skin/website.
    If this is considered advertising, I apologize, I just thought I might as well add a link.
    Intro
    Hello iPod Touch aficionados!
    I bought my iPod about a week ago and have been handling it as a time bomb until today. To my delight, my clear film protectors (or, rather, skins) were in my mailbox. You may have read BSE reviews before. You order them from the BSE website and they come a few days later in a normal envelope with a warning not to stick them face to face and also with what looks like an invoice (but I've never bothered actually reading it). Anyway, on to the real business..

Application
    These skins are like any of the other popular skins. You apply them to your device by using a solution of soap and water. With BSE, you mix it yourself. Some of the other products (aka InvisibleShield) include them in the box, which would admittedly be pretty nice, though my friend, who purchased one of the other products, has said that you don't give enough. The solution is really not a big deal though. I filled a bowl with water and added a little squirt of the closest soap, which happened to be dish soap. The solution really isn't all that important. It just has to be a little slippery so that you can place your skin on your device - the solution actually doesn't end up on your iPod permanently.

Having done these skins before, I steamed my bathroom, because it helps with getting dust out of the air. I put my iPod face down on on a cloth, took the skin out, dipped the proper side in the solution, squeegeed the solution off with my fingers (so it would dry faster after I had the skin on) and put the skin on my device. I placed it, and it started drying pretty quick (since I had used very little solution). I had accidentially gotten dust under it, so I put some application on my fingers and worked my way under and (rather roughly) picked it off. Since I wasn't careful, the dust had dried on a bit and left a tiny mark, but that was my fault, not a fault of the skin.

I waited about 20 minutes after the skin was firmly adhered to most of the back, and then I pressed the sides down, which was much easier to do than when they're still wet. I was done. There's an extremely and practically invisible sliver of air by the pill-shaped WiFi.. thing. I'll try to show it in the pictures, but it's really not noticeable. It's going away by the hour, however, and I presume it will be gone by tomorrow morning.

Appearance
    The BSE has the "dimple" or the "orange peel" effect that all of these skins have, but it is significantly less visible than ny of my other BSE-d devices. It's invisible, really. You can feel it, and that's about it. That's how they were designed. I have heard that the corners on the BSE are better designed than others, but I cannot vouch for this. I can, however, provide pictures.

Durability and Longetivity
    I have only had my BSE on my iPod Touch for about 5 hours, but I have two other BSE-d devices - a first gen Nano and a Zen Vision:M. I'll include pictures below. BSEs last just as long as any of the other solutions (Invisible Shield, Bodyguardz) and are just as durable. They're really the same thing. I originally bought my Nano around launch, but due to a malfunction, it was replaced a few months later. I knew the error of my ways and ordered a BSE for it (though I made the mistake of letting it get scratched before applying it). The BSE went on easy enough, and the original BSE is still on there. No corners have lifted and it's still invisible.

I bought my Zen literally a few months after that, and immediately put a BSE on it. I have not had to replace it yet. This BSE has some light browning at the corners, which I will try to show in pictures, but it's really not noticeable. I should add that this device has quite literally been to hell and back, though you wouldn't know by looking at it.

Conclusion
    Many users of this forum seem to favor the InvisibleShield, but I think that the BSE certainly deserves a 2nd look. You only usually have to replace these skins once or twice, and you can go through almost 3 skins before meeting the price of an InvisibleShield. I have friends with the InvisibleShield, and while Zagg marketing will swear on the bible that this isn't true, they're really pretty much the same thing. I honestly can't tell them apart. People may deny it, but they're practically the same product.

These skins hold up very well and are very cheap to replace. I would highly recommend them.

PICTARS
    Note: I'm going to hold off on general pictures until tomorrow, to give the skin a chance to dry and to be able to get the pictures by daylight so that they don't have that terrible incandescent yellow tint.

Corner design:

I tried to show the sliver of air. It's not really visible. Those little dots should disappear by tomorrow.

Attempted to picture browning on Creative Zen:

Back of iPod Nano (Almost 2 year old BSE):
    (Note - the skin is dirty, but that's just because I can't be arsed to wipe it all off. That's all just crap on the surface. This iPod was also scratched a bit before I could get the skin on. I also don't know what that thing is in the corner of the iPod. It's not an air bubble though.)

NEW PICTARS - As of 10/24, less than 24 hours after application

On these first two pictures, the back is not actually that blurry.
    That was just an effect because of the way my camera was focused.

This is now the only spot left on the skin:

And finally, Your Humble Narrator.

I think that's it.
    The BSE - just as good as the InvisibleShield or Bodyguardz, and at a huge discount.
  2. t2t2

t2t2 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I also applied BSE yesturday on the ipod and i find it easy to put on.
    the back wasnt as nicely done as the front (bubbles on the curves) and one of the edge just wont stick..

but overall i think its a good investment..2x front/back skin for $15CAD with shipping and who da hell needs lifetime warranty? lolol
  3. lqv2015

lqv2015 New Member

Thanks for that great review. I'll definitely take a chance on the BSE on my next iPod.

So far, my IS has been great. Until last month when all four corners has started to peel off. I've only had it for 8 months. Has this happen to anyone else?
  4. JohnyW

JohnyW New Member

I think it all depends on how you treat it and like humidity and stuff. I definatleu want to try this though. I already have a Griffin Reflect on my 2g, but I want scratch protection like this too. Definatley will give it a try. Thank you for this.
  5. rafarquhar

rafarquhar New Member

I'm glad to see people appreciate my review

As a mini-update on my Touch (I'll post pictures later, I can't now) there's a tiny air bubble that developed over night around a piece of dust that I guess I missed when I was applying the skin. I tried to push it out, but the skin around it is stuck. I'm assuming that by the time I'm done with classes today, it will be gone. I had my Touch on for a few minutes roughly six hours after the application, which is against the instructions, but I couldn't help it

I think that the skins peeling off on the corners isn't a problem isolated to InvisibleShield, or any single brand of film. I would guess that it's more due to your environment than anything.

I also think that the selection of these skins is really just all preference. Some people think that they need the lifetime warranty and go with InvisibleShield, and some people argue that you get two BodyGuardz for the price of one InvisibleShield. I obviously favor BSE, mainly due to price. I'm sure that both of the other brands would do the exact same thing, but since BSE was cheapest, I went with it, and I'm satisfied.

A lot of people don't like making the solution themselves but I guess they don't realize that it doesn't really matter that much. You just use a small squirt of any soap in a normal sized bowl full of water. The soap will end up being squeegeed out or evaporating out - it's only there to allow the skin to slide on the device (which plain water won't allow), so it doesn't really matter what type of soap you use.
  6. nsx_23

nsx_23 New Member

I've had mine for about 1 month now, and its been excellent. Be careful if you plan on fitting cases over it though, as cases such as the rebeltouch ended up damaging my BSE.

It'll look much better after at least 48hrs from application.
  7. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Great review!
  8. mojon

mojon New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    it's a shame that the sending to Argentina cost U$D 26

(and in the web they said free (Lie!))
  9. agarwal1

agarwal1 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Nice review, how could you call it semi-in-depth?
  10. jls25

jls25 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    man very cool.. never seen a skin like dat.. thanks for sharing