Selling my ipod touch, what happens to the updates?

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by wardy, Jun 11, 2008.

1. wardy

wardy New Member

Hello all, firstly i have searched to answer this question but sadly i have had no luck. Secondly i hope this is in the correct forum.

I am considering selling my ipod touch 16gb. However is there a way to sell it so the buyer gets the jan apps update, which i bought, and potentially the 2.0 update, if i decide to get it.

Am i right in thinking as soon as the buyer connects the ipod to their pc/mac it will erase everything and put it back to 1.1.4 standard?

Hope this makes sence.
  2. Tigerclaw

Tigerclaw New Member

Not strictly true about resetting back to standard.

It works like this: YOU bought the update(s), they are on YOUR account and computer. When the buyer connects the iPod to his/her computer the updates will be erased, the songs will be re-synced to their songs. If the iPod was jailbroken, the apps would stay on the ipod.

Not sure about this bit, but I don't think the iPod can be reverted back to it's original OS.
    i.e My iPod came with 1.1.2 as standard. I've updated it to 1.1.3 with the app pack. I believe it would STAY 1.1.3, but the app pack would be deleted.

The reason I say this is because the app pack is "stored" on the computer in a folder. The OS upgrade isn't. It's a direct upgrade to the iPod I believe.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong?
  3. wardy

wardy New Member

Thanks for the reply. This is what i thought would happen. I'm sure i heard that the APPS update is stored in your itunes account. When you restore itunes checks this to see if you already purchased it. If this is the case i won't bother with the 2.0 update.

I was intending to sell my 16gb ipod and my current mobile phone and get a 3G iphone on 02PAYG, depends on price and unlockability of course.

Shame as i will probably get less for it with it being bog standard 1.1.4 with no updates.

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. Blake

Blake Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I got 200 for just a stock 1.1.4 restore.