Self installation of LCD?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by twitchy204, Sep 2, 2009.

1. twitchy204

twitchy204 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    looking to replace my LCD on my 2g. any suggestions/warnings/links to good guides/whatever? also, i'll only need the LCD in order to replace it, correct? like there's nothing else that i'll need(other than maybe some tools), right?

reason: fell a few months back and landed on my iPod. put a nice dent in the back and killed a few pixels on my LCD. the spot has been slowly growing since then and i just really want it fixed now.

thanks.
  2. kevin1st

kevin1st Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    i would get a new digitizer and frame while your at it. i hear it is VERY easy to crack the digitizer while you are trying to pry it out from the bezel. and if you do crack it you need the frame to apply to the new digitizer. heres a good ebay store to buy from

BAM

if you get lucky it will cost you about $20 but if you happen to crack the digitizer you will have to pay around $50-$60
  3. twitchy204

twitchy204 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    that's good/bad to know. thanks for the heads up. i'll probably just buy the LCD first time around and if i crack the screen, i'll work from there.
  4. ZombieKiller

ZombieKiller Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Just get the LCD, and practice taking out and and putting back in the broken one once you get it.

I wanted to clean my screen, i cracked it, and i need to get a new one, and i just practiced with the one i had. I was a pro by the time i got the new one.

Once you get one, PM, il guide on how to get the LCD off the rails of the Digitizer. Its pretty simple, but if done wrong, you can f*** it up.
  5. twitchy204

twitchy204 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    i'm trying to decide if i actually want to do it since there's a risk i'll need to spend another 40-50 bucks if i mess up. i'm usually pretty good with my hands, and this won't be the first time i've ever opened an iPod up to try and repair, but it will be the first time i've tried to open an iPod touch, which i would imagine is more fragile than any other ipod.

i mean, from what you just read, what do you think are my odds of messing up?
  6. kevin1st

kevin1st Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    i not sure of your odds but i was just telling you from personal experience. it seems that if you take you time and i mean really take you time you would be fine.when some kid who had a tiny scratch on his screen and asked me to replace it i got the tool under there and started to move it around the edge and then it just cracked. i tell you they are nasty buggers to get out but one it split it was easy. lucky for me i was replacing that part so it didn't matter.

long story short take you time and don;t try to apply like any pressure to the screen when you pry it off.