Self Evaluation, what YOU can do.

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by David., Apr 15, 2010.

1. David.

David. Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    No that you know how to be a better member, what can you do with the information?

I have been thinking recently about all the talk of reform on the forums. Chicken's thread really got me thinking though: why not make the forum a better place, one member at a time? Although this saying may sound cliche, it is very true. When the members reform themselves, the community will change. And a change for the better, is never a bad change.

So this is my question to you: How could YOU, be a better member?

Do not evaluate other members, only yourself. If I see anyone evaluating other members I will ask a staff member to edit/delete the post, and they can decide if it is flaming or not.

Now to start this off:

Ways that I can be a better member:
    Helping others: All too often I see threads with zero replies, but skip over it. Now I will probably know the answer, but I am just a little too lazy to pop in and see what's going on.

How I can fix this:
    I can fix this by helping a little more. These threads only clutter the forum if no one attends to them. So I might as well help someone, because it only makes the person think good things of our community.

Now, it's your turn.
  2. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I'll be monitoring this thread very closely, don't say anything about other people ONLY comment on yourself.
  3. iTz-zAcKoMg

iTz-zAcKoMg New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm fairly new to this forum. But i'll be participating in as many threads and posts as I can possibly manage.

But so far.
    Ways that I can be a better member: Definitely start posting more threads. Also contribute more to the forum. Find ways to help others.

How can I fix this: Well, uh, it's pretty self explanatory I guess. But, I'll start giving a little more help more than arguing and discussing irrelevant issues.
  4. David.

David. Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Care to post how you can be a better member Chicken? No offense, but even the staff isn't perfect, so I think it might appeal more if some staff posted as well.
  5. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    It's true, staff aren't at all perfect. No one ever is.

How can I be a better member?

I too, often look at threads and even though I know the answer, I may skip over it or if I do answer I do not post relevant links to help solve the problem.

How can I fix it?

As obvious, start taking the time to reply to more of the threads an help people with their problems, and start taking the time to get relevant links to show the user how to do the suggested process, eg. DFU mode.
  6. Renegade

Renegade Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    One of the most important things is to report posts. Most members, including myself before I was promoted, don't understand how much of an impact reporting posts has. Believe it or not, it REALLY DOES make a difference...
  7. SilentWalker

SilentWalker Retired Moderator

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I can be a better member by:

• Providing more solutions. Many times over I see a post to which I may be of assistance, but I just skip past it. Or I just skim the 'New Posts' page looking for interesting topics, ignoring the questions that are being asked, and the cries for help. Often enough I see a new topic, containing a simple enough question, that is sometimes sitting around for over a week, with over a hundred views, but not a single reply. And I wonder why people are so selfish without even considering myself part of the problem. That's going to change.
    • Greeting members in the 'Introductions' thread, making them feel at home in the MtF community.
    • Being more accepting/tolerant to newbies. I sometimes get agitated/just plain tired of newbie questions.
    • I would say reporting violating posts, but as far as I can remember, I always do so

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. TDG

TDG Active Member

Hmm, maybe stop posting threads to try and become a mod? ... You know, just off the top of my head...
  9. jmwerkus

jmwerkus Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I have decided to start making my posts more mature, and use capitalization etc. I also need to start helping those who don't know as much out by replying to threads i have seen a hundred times. I will also start reporting posts more often.
  10. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    What i do wrong:

I often report posts and then add a stupid comment afterwards which isn't needed at all. And, like chicken. I view a huge ammount of threads that would take me a total of 10 seconds to answer but I leave it for someone else to do. Or I see a thread that I know the answer to but isn't what I like doing, so I don't post.

How I can fix it:

report and move on, obviously. And take the time to post, even if that thread isn't in my specific area of 'expertise', if I do actually know the answer