Secure your iPod touch/iPhone's WiFi Service (with VPN) with Hotspot Shield!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ur_so_beautiful, Dec 7, 2008.

1. ur_so_beautiful

ur_so_beautiful New Member

From the kind folks at tuaw.com.

Basically Hotspot Shield gives you free protection on your WiFi, for the purpose that when you're in a Cafe/AirPort WiFi area, and you don't want ANY of your private information being spread around wirelessly, use this to protect your iPhone/iPod touch.

Go Here for the freeness: http://hotspotshield.com/clientless/iphone/get_started.php
    The site is 100% legit, no worries, gives you a free account and all you need to do is enter the information in the VPN Service of your iPhone/iPod touch.

Please Register or Log in to view images

^^ A little VPN thing appears next to your WiFi thing in the top-left of your screen, so be aware of that, and there is no difference between surfing the web now or before

Hope this helps, it makes me feel more safe when using a public WiFi

------------------double post merged------------------
    Wow, I thought people would've been more concerned about their own safety and information..ahh well.
  2. sdschramm

sdschramm Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Thanks - I never thought about that. I set it up and it seems to be working just fine. I just hope this is all legit - but if it came from TUAW then I guess it is so.

Dumb question - will this slow down my internet any - and/or will is drain my battery faster?
  3. BroadStBullies

BroadStBullies Well-Known Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It slowed my internet connection down a lot.
  4. ur_so_beautiful

No effect on my internet speeds, at least none noticeable compared to before, and it's better than spreading your Credit Card Details around the world... the point of this is for secure portability, not really intended for home use, but I use it at home, as if it's Norton anti-virus for my iPod touch.

If it's slow then there must be something you did wrong *shrugs*
  5. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Yes. Secure your Wifi service. By sending it through a 3rd party corporation.
  6. ur_so_beautiful

I don't understand you people, finally Hotspot Shield comes up with a solution to secure your iPhone and iPod touch and you just slag them down. That VPN thing is just being wasted. Apple may as well have left it out for you people, and i hope the next time your in a wifi hotspot that your personal details will be released, just to make you people understand. You wouldn't leave your front door open when you're out, would you? Oh actually, some of you probably would.
  7. sdschramm

sdschramm Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well as I said earlier it was working great - now I'm about ready to delete it. I didn't notice a difference in connection speed - but 3 times last night (in the matter of 2 hours) my internet concretion would seemed as if it was dropped. I would then get a message saying that the VPN had to be disconnected. (and then it shut it off for me) Then my internet worked fine. so then I went though the whole process of truing it back on - and what do you know it happens again 3 mins later.

So what do you say guys - is this worth having? Is it really that much more secure? Is it worth the hassle of having to re-turn i back on every 30-45 mins?
  8. freshnewton7

freshnewton7 New Member

cough *scam* *fraud* cough!

freshhh

9. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

this worked
    thanx man
  10. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Give more information. Speed changes (In terms of connection), ad popups (Seeing as its a Free service, has to be funded someway/somehow), do you trust it? (seeing as your traffic is going through a 3rd party place).

You should really say more instead of just little tiny phrases. Thats what got you into trouble in the first place.