Second life on iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by hakk79, Mar 17, 2008.

1. hakk79

hakk79 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Today at school me and my friend had an argument about weather second life can be made into an application for the ipod touch. i said no and he said yes. am I right or wrong. If i am wrong why has no one made the app?
  2. dybacz

dybacz New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  3. iclone

iclone New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    great

Please Register or Log in to view images

No, your eyes aren't kidding you. That really is the processor-shredding Second Life virtual world running on an iPhone. But how? And why is it so slow? Well, the answer is that it's a concept demo produced by mobile technology firm Comverse.

In a layman's nutshell, all the processing is being done NOT on the iPhone, on a central server. All that's being streamed to the iPhone is the visuals - essentially, a video feed of the Second Life environment. Then, when you tap the on-screen buttons to move, or type in a message, that's sent back up to the server for processing.

So, it's not a Second Life client on the iPhone - it's just streaming Safari-friendly video of your SL session, with you able to send your commands back in the other direction. That's why it's this sluggish at the moment, because you're one step removed.

Still, as a proof of concept, it's pretty impressive - you wouldn't want to spend long periods of time in a virtual world using this, but if you just wanted a quick fix on the move, or to log in to check something, it works.

Comverse says it could just as easily work for World Of Warcraft or other MMOs, rather than just virtual worlds, although I'd argue that it's more suitable for sedate virtual worlds than for action-heavy MMOs, due to that lag.

SOURCE: http://techdigest.tv/2008/02/mwc_2008_second.html
  4. hakk79

hakk79 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well if it can how can we put it on our ipod touches/iphones?
  5. kevipapo1

kevipapo1 New Member

I would think the processor of the iPhone or iPod Touch wouldn't be able to run Second Life on the system itself.

It's great that these types of systems get set up for low processing, portable devices, so that anyone, anywhere, can use it

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. toomuchcaffeine

toomuchcaffeine New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    LMFAO. Your friend has no clue what he is talking about.
  7. rouzuki

rouzuki New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    In even easier to understand terms,

Second Life runs on your computer
    Your Ipod Touch/phone acts like a TV
    Your Ipod Touch/phone also acts like a touch screen/keyboard.

So your Ipod is doing nothing concerning Second Life processing. It's like standing in your house and telling a friend to go buy groceries. That friend is doing all the work (your computer) and you're just giving instructions and receiving the end results (your ipod).