Second iPod Touch Jailbreak

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by RedMew, Mar 27, 2009.

1. RedMew

RedMew New Member

For reasons i cannot discuss on this site, my jailbroken iPod touch would not turn on even after rebooting it in DFU mode and long story short, i ended up having to restore with official apple firmware (2.2.1) to get it to work. Now I want to jailbreak it again. I used this tutorial: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137683 and it was pretty good. My question is do I have to delete the files i downloaded from there and then redownload them and follow the steps or should I keep the files? Please only answer if you've used this tutorial before. Thanks!
  2. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

Don't use a tethered jailbreak. That's the reason your iPod wouldn't boot up.
    Instead, use an untethered jailbreak, like Untetherizer. Untetherizer has a convenient video tutorial with it as well.
  3. RedMew

RedMew New Member

1) What's the diff between tethered and untethered?
    2) I don't think it was the fact that it was tethered. I think it was because I used a Cydia app called iReboot. There are two options, Reboot iPhone and Restart Springboard. I usually use Restart Springboard, but it said reboot so I did Reboot iPhone and I think that was the problem because it didn't reboot.
  4. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

1. Tethered means you can't turn your iPod on without connecting it to your computer. Untethered means it's just like regular. You can turn it on and off when you want to.
    2. You just proved my point. If you turned off your iPod by "rebooting" it, it obviously isn't going to boot. That's why untethered is a lot better.
  5. awesome761

awesome761 Banned

Untethered is obviously better, no boot without comptuer!
  6. RedMew

RedMew New Member

Oh. Okay thanks i'll try Untetherizer.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Just one more question: Why do they even make tethered if there's untethered which is obviously better?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Just one more question: Why do they even make tethered if there's untethered which is obviously better?
  7. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    The dev team(s) made the tethered because they didn't want the exploit they used to be known until the new iPhone came out because they were planning on seeing if it would have the same one. The 24kpwn. The tethered version is very old. But thanks to a certain group I'm not allowed to say, trying to sell it, the dev team decided to release it early.