Search tool sucks

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by synman, Nov 22, 2007.

1. synman

synman New Member

Let's see...

How many words are in this..."cannot connect to youtube" ?

Looks like four, right? But I get this message when I try to search...
    "The search term you specified (I) is under the minimum word length (4) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer. "​

I tried a number of different searches and got the same thing. Each was four or five words. So, I entered "I hate this friggin search tool because it obviously cannot count"

How many words there? 11 Lots more than 4. And I still got the same dumbass error. Even if it was working, what dumbass came up with a search tool that needs to have a minumum of 4 words to search?!?

If anyone with admin access actually reads this, it seems something is being parsed incorrectly. The "(I)" changes to "(The)" and what seems to be other random things based on the search string I enter.

And on a closing thought...I think the new theme sux too.

Have a nice day!
  2. Rawd

Rawd New Member

Minimum word length = number of letters in a word. Use the google search under the regular search if you want to search under 3 letters. Sorry your first experience sucked, but really, this is a great forum with good peeps.

Also, if you are still having problems connecting to you-tube, you can PM me, and I'll help you out.
  3. AlexRADL

AlexRADL Retired Moderator

This has been posted many times, there is a simple solution to this. Next time please look around the forums a bit before you post, your answer could have been found very easily by doing so. Go to the top navigation bar that is on the top of every page, click on search and use the google search. The problem you are having is that the search function does not allow you to search for phrases that contain words that are less than 4 letters. Using the google search allows you to search for words under 4 letters. Here is a picture to guide you.

Please Register or Log in to view images

PS- Rawd, nice edit

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. synman

synman New Member

RAWD, I fixed my YouTube issue....thanks for the offer to help out. I had my date WAYYY off.....like 2001...lol

a113524c - Thanks for the info. I looked around before I posted. I tried searching for the answer to my problem. But, as you can see, I had some issues. The verbage is not very clear. What you circled says " Use Google search for 3-letter words or more" It does not say "The lame first search field will not work for searches that contain words that contain less than 4 letters" and the error message is not the most descriptive I have ever seen.

Before telling people to "Look around" you may want to take into consideration what the problem was. It was kind of hard to search for help when the search function is what I was having an issue with. Thanks for pointing out the correct way to search.

It seems fairly lame to have two search functions....one for "Words longer than 4 letters" and one for "Words less than 4 letters"
  5. AlexRADL

AlexRADL Retired Moderator

The reason we have two search functions is because the first one is for searching for specific threads or posts, the google search finds any word you type into the search from, like google does.