iOS 4.0 Search Providers for OS4

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by _JKK_, May 30, 2010.

1. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    It should be noted that I do not have any more information than you, and that these are just my opinions. But hey, anything that makes for some good intelligent discussion is worth it. And yes, I'm as much of a Google fanboy as anyone else (probably more so). I just use Apple products.

I've noticed that there seems to be a lot of hatred towards rumors that Bing could be coming to the iPhone (for use in Safari when searching). Just reading through this thread proves that

Please Register or Log in to view images

Its definitely something that will affect everyday users, since web browsing is one of the iPhone's strongest points, and searching the web is just as important as browsing. So, with that said, here are my thoughts on the possible search providers for OS4.

Personally, there are two ways to look at this (I think): First, Google could be replaced by Bing, since Google and Apple are now more competitors than Apple and Microsoft (Google = Android, Apple = iPhone). I honestly don't think that will happen. Google is huge; so big that it has become synonymous with search. Its a household term, everyone uses it. It's the de facto standard. I don't think it can be replaced, at least not without years of work, and it would have to happen gradually. Removing it from iPhone OS is not 'gradually.' I honestly do not think that will happen. If it does, count on:
    1. A lot of protest. People like Google, Google likes people.
    2. A solution, almost certainly via jailbreak, within days, if not hours.
    Overall, I don't think Apple is gutsy enough to take out the worlds' largest search engine from their platform, and replace it with another competitor's. And either way, why wouldn't they make this type of change in the betas, as it really isn't this huge feature worth hiding--unless Apple will be launching their own search service, to compete with Google, instead of using Bing

--from the developers.

The second way that I look at this is based on principle. People don't want Microsoft to have anything to do with their iPhone, their iPod touch, or their iPad. Understandable. One problem... You should've been complaining for the better part of a year. That's right, Microsoft has been there. If you've ever used the Yahoo! search on your iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, or any other device (PC, Mac, whatever) you've used Bing, per say. That's because Bing powers Yahoo! search, and it has since the deal was signed on July 29, 2009. So really, if Bing replaced Yahoo!, there would be a difference in the UI of the search, but not much difference in the results.

If Apple does drop Google, you should understand why: Google produces Android OS, a smartphone operating system comparable to iPhone OS in many regards. However, unlike Apple, Google does not make the hardware for the cell phones running Android OS. That means that Google has a different stream of income; web advertising. The ads that you see in Google, Gmail, and other projects and websites run by Google (YouTube, Buzz, Reader... the full list will only depress/elate you) fund the company. They use the money to produce Android OS, so that more people can view more ads in more places with a mobile device (well, not only, but this is definitely how they get their money). Apple gets the majority of the money it makes from the iPhone from the actual hardware. Why would Apple continue providing Google (their Competitor, their Nemesis) a way to make a ton of money off of their platform.

Basically, my advice is to:
    • Not sweat it. There are more important things in life.
    • Not believe the rumors. Remember the 'iPod touch 3G leaked with camera but actual unit doesn't'?
    • Lessen up on the Microsoft hate. They make some good things. And they make some things that are crap. Bing is in the middle.
    • Understand that if Apple does drop Google, it's competition.

But hey, it sure does make for an interesting WWDC 2010

! So anyways, what do you think? Google gone? Google in? Glad about it? Mad about it?
  2. xXrkidXx

xXrkidXx Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)

But then the leaked iPod touch 4G Looked EXACTLY like the leaked 3G one we saw?

but yea, good thread. I'm still worried about not having google...
  3. _JKK_

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Oh, I'm not saying it's not out there. I'm just saying that the day before the event, everyone just knew there would be a camera. There wasn't/isn't.
  4. Theodosius

Theodosius Active Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Very nice write up. You made some really nice points too.
  5. leadergo

leadergo Active Member

Wait. Bing was created by Microsoft, was it not?
    -Where Microsoft is developing an iPhone OS competitor, Windows Phone 7.
    -Where Microsoft and Apple have a deep hatred between them.

So why would Apple drop a more reliable search engine for a sh***ier search engine? I think they will keep Google, but they might rename the little watermarks on the Google bar to something like Search.
  6. _JKK_

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Because MS isn't competition for Apple right now. ANd more than likely, they are too late anyways.

Android (therefore Google) has taken Microsoft's place as Apple's prime competitor. Why would Apple support their prime competitor? You're not thinking in the big picture, you are just going by previous behavior/conflicts.