SDK FaQ

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.4 Discussions' started by sct_nh, Feb 28, 2008.

1. sct_nh

sct_nh New Member

Okay there seem to be way too many people that are still confused about the SDK, and other threads don't really answer all their questions. Let me know if anything is missing.

Note: I don't claim to be an expert and I'm not trying to pretend I know everything when i don't

Please Register or Log in to view images

What is the SDK and where do I download it?
    If you don't know what an SDK is, or didn't know what an SDK was before the iPhone/iPod Touch, then I can almost guarantee that you will not need to download the SDK when it is released.
    An SDK is a Software Development Kit. An SDK is a set of tools used to develop software for a specific platform - in this case the iPhone and iPod Touch. Click here for more info on SDKs in general.

When will the SDK be released?
    Apple is holding an event on March 6th to talk about the SDK. Whether or not it will be released on that day remains to be seen.

Will the SDK be released to the public? Will it cost money?
    Nobody really knows, though the general consensus seems to be that Apple will release the SDK to the public. However, that is purely speculation.

Will I be able to install just any app on my iPhone/iPod?
    Again, nobody really knows. Though I would almost certainly bet that apps would be installed through iTunes (how else?) and will probably need to be digitally signed by Apple.

Will apps cost money?
    Yes - apps will cost money. Will there be free apps? We don't know. But there WILL be apps that you will have to pay for. Have Apple explicitly stated this? No. But I think it would be fairly naive to believe that all apps would be free. (Apple are in this market to make money you know...)
    So how much will they cost? There have been rumors stating that apps will cost anywhere from $3.99 to $15 but these are simply rumors - nobody knows anything.

What firmware will be required to run SDK apps?
    Certainly at least 1.1.3, but in my opinion, more likely 1.1.4 (if another firmware update isnt released to coincide with the release of the SDK).
    3 people like this.
  2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Way to post something most of us know already.
  3. QuAdS

QuAdS New Member

simply amazing. this will get everyone a great understanding. repd!
  4. Vasily

Vasily Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Thanks, this is very helpful. Also might help other people that search instead of making a new thread
  5. raze94

raze94 New Member

still a little confused about this sdk release. it sounds like all the apps we are now freely using we will have to pay for in the near future.
  6. badbuddah

badbuddah New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  7. sct_nh

sct_nh New Member

This thread is more clear, isn't written in an insulting/arrogant tone, and doesnt use words such as "noob"..
  8. badbuddah

badbuddah New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Do you implies my thread is less clear ? You didn't read it. "Noob" is offensive? My gosh it's a contraction for "newbie" (i can't believe i must explain that). Arrogant ? WTF you didn't read my thread at all! As i said in bottom i'm not arrogant i'm french.
  9. sct_nh

sct_nh New Member

I think you just proved my point I'll leave it at that.
  10. badbuddah

badbuddah New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I'm awfully sorry i didn't know you had a point. PLease pardon me, if not i won't sleep.