Screenshot Tour - What You Get By Jailbreaking

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Sarcasm Siempre, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Sarcasm Siempre

Sarcasm Siempre New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    WHAT DO I GET WHEN I JAILBREAK?

Please Register or Log in to view images

Here is a screenshot of the SpringBoard (also known as the Home Screen) of a jailbroken iPod touch. As you can see, custom icons have been applied, as well as a custom wallpaper and dock image. Also, there are clock and weather-forecast widgets which are live (they update themselves), and there are 5 columns of SpringBoard icons instead of just 4. There are also five icons in the dock, instead of the normal 4, with reflections below them that were added by another "widget" of sorts. The status bar has been replaced with a custom image, the "iPod" text has been changed to a custom carrier image, and the battery indicator has been replaced by a much more accurate numeric indicator.

Jailbreak Apps Used in This Screenshot: WinterBoard for custom graphics and widgets, Five Column SpringBoard, Five Icon Dock, BossPrefs for the numeric battery. For those of you that want my theme, you can download it here.

By simply swiping the status bar from left to right, we can bring up SBSettings. This handy SpringBoard enhancement places a number of convenient toggles within easy reach, so you can switch off WiFi to save battery power, kill processes that are stealing your device's RAM, switch SSH on to transfer files to your device, or jot down a quick note. The toggles in SBSettings are user-defined, so you can create your own set easily. You can also hit the "More" button to hide SpringBoard icons, toggle the numeric battery, and control which toggles are displayed. The "Power" button brings up a dialog that lets you lock the screen (if your Lock button is broken), turn your device off, reboot, or respring into Safe Mode. You can also respring your device with a single tap on the "Respring" button.

Jailbreak Apps Used In This Screenshot: SBSettings with various toggle add-ons (Fast Notes, Processes).

By pressing the Home Button whilst on the Home Screen, you can bring up QuickGold. QuickGold is an application launcher; simply type in the name of the application you want (it uses search-as-you-type, so results start appearing from the very first letter) and then tap on the desired result. It also has a handy "Recent Applications" section (not shown here) which has shortcuts to the last six apps you launched via QuickGold. I have it set up to only search applications, but you can have it search contacts, Safari bookmarks, Safari history, web clips, and text messages as well.

Jailbreak Apps Used In This Screenshot: QuickGold.

You can also install the Safari Download Plug-In, which allows you to download various files straight to your device and then retrieve them later with SSH. This comes in especially handy when used in conjunction with SeeqPod, as you can download mp3s straight to your device, as seen here.

Jailbreak Apps Used In This Screenshot: Safari Download Plug-In.

Once you have downloaded music and/or videos to your device with the Safari Download Plug-In, you can play them using dTunes, an application that scans your iPod's filesystem for playable audio and/or video files. You can also use dTunes to unzip .zip files and to download *******s.

Jailbreak Apps Used In This Screenshot: dTunes.

Categories is an application that allows you to create categories, or "folders", on your SpringBoard for easier navigation. This is my "Games" category (the green star icon on my SpringBoard; see the first screenshot), with two more categories within: App Store and Emulators. Categories reduces SpringBoard clutter and enables you to find apps easily.

Jailbreak Apps Used In This Screenshot: Categories.

Want to carry an NES around in your pocket? How about a Game Boy Color and a Game Boy Advance and an NES and an SNES and a Sega Genesis and a PlayStation all in one? Emulators for the iPod touch and iPhone allow you to do just that. In the screenshots above, I'm playing Pokemon Emerald, Pokemon Yellow, and Super Mario Bros. in iPod touch emulators. You can even play Grand Theft Auto on the PSX if you want. (NOTE: ROMs are illegal, as are the BIOS files required by some emulators.)

Jailbreak Apps Used In These Screenshots: gpSPhone (top), gameboy4iphone (middle), NES (bottom).

Finally, one of my favorite apps: MxTube. MxTube allows you to stream YouTube videos, like the default YouTube app. However, what the default app doesn't let you do is download the videos straight to your device and watch them offline later.

Jailbreak Apps Used In This Screenshot: MxTube.

I realize that I may have (in fact, I probably did) miss some things, so if anyone has anything else to add, please do so (preferably with a screenshot and following the format presented above).
  2. mieraisamazing

mieraisamazing Banned

dammit dude! lol i was so convinced i got the right thing... now i want a 1g! sh*t and dammit! lol... but the 2g is faster and better i guess haha
  3. nikj14

nikj14 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    about time someone did this

nice description
  4. Complexis

Complexis Retired Moderator

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    2G is better hardware-wise, but the Jailbreak does have a few apps that make it worthwhile to stick with 1G, even if it has slightly less battery life and slower.

MxTube & Emulators are the biggest thing. Springboard/Summerboard/Customize is nice, but slows down the Touch.
  5. r0b3rt_213

r0b3rt_213 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    what theme are you using because i think i might want it on my phone?
  6. Sarcasm Siempre

Device:
    iPod touch
    The base theme is called Illuminous, but the Pandora, MxTube, Facebook, Settings, BeejiveIM, Mail, and iPod icons are custom and so is the wallpaper. The icons I can give you, but the wallpaper was made by me and is not for release.
  7. mclaurin10

mclaurin10 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Can the swipe for the little quick look looking pane be changed for differnet apps and info?

Also where would I get it?

Im still considering Jailbreaking but its not just my ipod anymore, all i have is an iphone and idk, i mean if it dies, well restoring sucks.
  8. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well just think, if/when they get a jailbreak for the 2g, it'll have updated hardware AND be jailbroken. Then we'll have the upper hand

. Look on the brightside guys... and it's not totally useless even if its not jailbroken. I have yet to pandoraize my PSP but i still love it.
  9. sprint_user

sprint_user New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    That theme is amazing! But once the 2g jailbreak comes out, I will be so happy
  10. Sarcasm Siempre

Device:
    iPod touch
    The toggles available in SBSettings can be changed, yes. There are toggles for EDGE, 3G, Airplane Mode, and Bluetooth, as well as a Play/Pause button for iPod.app, a volume slider, and a brightness slider. There's also one that supposedly disables Cover Flow and landscape Safari, but I tried it and it didn't seem to work. You can have up to 12 at one time. You can also theme the pop-up and the toggles.