Screenshot messed up iPoT!!!

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by kanundro, Feb 2, 2008.

1. kanundro

kanundro New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hey All,

I recently installed a version of Screenshot on my iPoT and i decided to turn on the buttons (view, snap) just for convenience's sake, turns out my iPod's batteries died out and i had to charge it so after charging i noticed my ipod wasn't going into sleep mode it was always on a dim screen and it was due to screenshot. I thought i would try and shut off screenshot and the screen was unresponsive, so i thought lemme use installer and uninstall it... i can't even tap any of the buttons in installer!!!

I restarted, rebooted everything short of restoring. No luck same problem every time. I really would prefer not to restore because itunes is forcing me to restore and update if i restore and i don't want to go through the hassel of downgrading.

I'm currently running 1.1.1 firmware with the most latest itunes. I'm really aggrevated with screenshot and will never download it again, but would appreciate any help in solving my problem. BTW, SSH is not on and i've tried using total commander, and iPhoneList but neither is showing my applications directory.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Solution:
    There appears to be no other solution but to actually restore your iPod touch. After some tedious work and a lot of wasted time trying to figure out how to uninstall Screenshot without using SSH (Because it wasn't enabled) i was forced to restore and that added the unnecessary and unpleasant annoyance of having to restore, resync, rejailbreak, and reinstalling all my apps.

Never in my entire time of owning my iPod touch did i ever ever ever have to restore for any reason until screenshot crapped.

Avoid using this app at any cost.
    But it you choose to ignore my warning, at least leave SSH on so you can manually uninstall this app when and if it borkes on you.

But my touch is now back to my standards of comfort

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Yeah I had this same problem, it was non-responsive because of Screenshot.app and even was flashing black and white after turning on the iPod and after seeing the Apple symbol. I first went into WinSCP and tried to delete Screenshot.app via SSH. It deleted it, but not completely, it was still there if you understand what I mean.

So, I tried to uninstall through the Installer, but it was non-responsive and I couldn't tap just like you. Sadly, I had to restore. I bought my iPod with firmware 1.1.2, so I downgraded to 1.1.1 and got all my applications back. Turns out screenshot was the problem ;l

Restoring is probably the only choice.
  3. kanundro

kanundro New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thank you for your response, i'm trying to avoid restoring because the version of itunes i have now requires me to update to 1.1.3 after the restore and i really don't want to update and then downgrade and then reinstall all my apps and risk losing the iphone apps i installed. ( call me dumb but for some reason installing those apps was pretty tedious and hard for me

Please Register or Log in to view images

)
  4. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Try this:

1. Open SSH, SFTP, iBrickr, iPhuc, or whatever else you use to gain access to your iPod and delete /Applications/Screenshot.app.
    2. Reboot the iPod. You'll notice teh buttons still overlaid on the screen.
    3. Open Installer and Uninstall Screenshop.app.
    4. Reinstall Screenshot.app.
    5. Open Screenshot.app and turn everything off. you should be all set. If you'd rather not deal with this in the future:
    6. Openj Installer and uninstall Screenshot.app.
  5. kanundro

kanundro New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Actually i've been trying for awhile to access it unfortunately i don't have SSH preenabled on the touch and the other apps that circumvent it and allow me to access my touch through USB don't seem to be showing me the var and root directories... its wierd its like it was never jailbroken before. I guess i have no choice but to restore -.-"
  6. kanundro

kanundro New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I tried all of those options, nothing left... had to force restore -_-"
    Thanks for your help though.
  7. joedaman

joedaman New Member

The exact same thing happened to me, running 1.1.1. As soon as it froze up, I restarted it. it got caught on the springboard so I restarted again and it worked. Maybe I got lucky, but idk.
  8. kanundro

kanundro New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Its actually a problem where if you leave the buttons showing, the dashboard will work fine with no flaws, but when you open up an app, thats when the touch screen becomes unresponsive. The only way is to tap the home button. I had to restore because i had my screen shot hidden using customize so i had to go through Mobile Finder to get it, and cause of the touch screen being unresponsive (THANK YOU SCREENSHOT.) thats where the problem could only be solved through a force restore.
  9. Virtualball

Virtualball Well-Known Member

Yup, I have had issues with Screenshot before on my iPhone. One time, my iPhone started up into that whole "boot screen with messed up spiny progress indicator" and another, my screen would be unresponsive til I restarted it.

DO NOT RECOMMEND!
  10. Morepower

Morepower New Member

I had the same problem with my touch (1.1.2) and this Screenshot Application. I tried different ways to uninstall this application. The last try was a success with the follow steps:
    - Turn it off
    - Turn it on, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until it is up
    - Start the Installer and uninstall the Screenshot Application

I don't know why, but it works....

Morepower