Screen Sunk In

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by drbawb, Jun 24, 2009.

1. drbawb

drbawb New Member

I bought my iPod about a week ago and initially I noticed the left corner seemed a bit loose, and at the time didn't realize that the right corner being slightly sunk in would be problematic. I now have a soft case and it constantly slips off the bottom right b/c it cannot grip that side without the screen being at proper level (all the other corners hold nice and tight)

Now, being a week old and obviously a manufacturing defect since I haven't put the iPod through any undeserved stress, its obviously still under warranty aside from the fact that its jailbroken.

Obviously all I'd have to do is reseat the screen, which I believe could be done by simply pulling it up with a "Safe Case open Tool" from RapidRepair.

Should I attempt this minor cosmetic repair myself, or restore the iPod to factory settings and take it in to the genius bar (is that how to get repair service? I'm not familiar with apple product repair), or simply get a hard case instead of a soft one and live with the defect?

It seriously doesn't bug me that its not perfect, I don't expect Apple to make a million iPods perfect each time... it bugs me that it affects the form fit of a $25 case I just bought however.

Anyways, I'm in desperate need of advice and what is the process to go in and get this iPod repaired (or do they do replacements?) if I decide to go that route... also, there's no way they can tell its been jailbroken after I've restored it, correct?

Thanks a million,
    DrBob
  2. LeanPocketTouch

LeanPocketTouch Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I would not attemp to fix the screen if you still have a warranty. Just take it to an apple genius with everything it came with. They should be able to fix it and / or replace it. I'd they cannot replace it I would buy a case opener tool and attempt to pull the screen up.
    If you do a DFU restore (google it) they shouldn't be able to tell it was jailbroken.

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/service/faq/
  3. touch_iPod

touch_iPod Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    Since you have a warranty (one week old product), it's best for you to restore your iPod back to factory settings first before sending it back to Apple... This is because a jailbroken iPod voids the warranty actually... This is better than attempting to repair the screen yourself as it can somehow cause even more problems later!
  4. whcodered

whcodered Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Definitely restore back to plain old official 3.0 and get it repaired by Apple.
  5. jmckeemckee

jmckeemckee New Member

Don't try to fix it yourself! (if it was over a year old, then yes try it, but since its a week old...DON'T!) You could easily damage the glass/digitizer, and then the warranty could be invalid because it would look like it was dropped or something, and thats not covered. Just let Apple fix it!