screen repair

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michaeljr10wv, May 20, 2009.

1. michaeljr10wv

michaeljr10wv New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Is it possible to replace just the front glass? I have seen some videos and some say it can't be done?

Michael
  2. leadergo

leadergo Active Member

3. michaeljr10wv

michaeljr10wv New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    same thing. Do I have to replace the digitizer also? Or can just the front glass be replaced? thanks for the link!

Michael
  4. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

It is possible to replace the front glass; but it is very, very difficult to do so.

Is this on a 2G or a 3G?

Most places recommend replacing the entires screen; glass, digitizer, and LCD. All three pieces are glued together and it is very hard to separate one without damaging the other. You can definitely try to replace just the glass but you will most likely damage the digitizer (or the LCD) and you'll have to replace the entire piece anyway.
  5. michaeljr10wv

michaeljr10wv New Member

Device:
    iPhone
  6. twigster9

twigster9 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The iPhone 2G has everything glued together. The iPhone 3G doesnt.
  7. michaeljr10wv

michaeljr10wv New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    So it would be possible to change just the LCD? I see that they sell on e-bay for like $10......I have a friend who wants to sell me his iphone 2g for $150. Works fine and fully funtionaly but theres two cracks on the LCD....

worth it to buy and try to replace?

Michael
  8. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

My previous post was geared toward a 2G and thanks to twigster9 for the added info.

I seriously doubt you will be able to separate the three components that make up the 2G screen. Your best bet would be to just find the complete screen; Might be able to find it cheaper but around $125 is what you might expect.

Also, some videos make it look a lot easier to take apart the 2G than it really is. It does get easier the more you do but the first one will likely result in some markings on the back pieces that are common with taking it apart the first time.