screen problem - week 43

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by godisjustpretend, Nov 21, 2007.

1. godisjustpretend

godisjustpretend New Member

I have had my iPod Touch for almost 2 weeks now, and I have been very happy with it. In fact, my coworkers now ridicule me and call me fanboy, etc.

Anyway, I have been using it mostly for web browsing and audio. I just put some video on it, and I've noticed some strange shimmery effects during dark scenes. it almost plays tricks with my eyes, causing me to adjust the angle I'm looking at it, etc. So, I went online and used some of those screen test sites. Sure enough, it is not rendering dark grays correctly.

Anyway, I am about to call the Apple store I bought it from, but I want to see if there is any tips I should know before I do. Has anyone had to exchange their Touch, and if so, is it easy? Also, I actually live closer to a different Apple store (not the one I bought it at). Do you know if they service/exchange at different official Apple stores?

Thanks.
  2. kinematic@yahoo.com

kinematic@yahoo.com New Member

Do you know what firmware it's running. The video issues were supposed to be fixed in 1.1.1 and even some in 1.1.2. Open settings and get your firmware version there. If it is 1.1.1 or 1.1.2, then take it in as you might have a defective unit.
  3. godisjustpretend

I'm pretty sure it's defective.
  4. Midnight

Midnight New Member

I also have a week 43. I just tested mine via one of those sites and mine seems fine... held the Touch up to my computer's screen on each test and each test looked the same on the Touch as it did on the computer's monitor. I ran the test because I too noticed that shimmery look to a movie I have on there, but I think it's just the quality of movie I have. It was downloaded from Limewire (you know how stuff from Limewire can be LOL) just so I could see what the Touch could do. However when I watch stuff on YouTube, etc. it seems fine. Could it just be the quality of movie you have? I have yet to convert any of my DVDs for my Touch yet so I can't comment on movies as a whole, but it's just a suggestion that it may just be the quality of movie you have.

Good luck

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. godisjustpretend

I tried a few different movies and some youtube content.
    Then I went to http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/small/ipod-touch/ (the test results from http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/small/), and I noticed some more problems. I don't see the first bars out of the 32 bars that should be visible in the gamma test, for example.

I called Apple and they told me I could bring it in. I'm just nervous now that I might get into an exchange cycle that won't resolve the problem. I'm hoping I just have a defective iPod.

Anyway, I am loving this thing other than this problem.
  6. Tatsu

Tatsu New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I have a week 43 also and sometimes i notice that weird shimmering effect but sometimes not. I tried the test and mine seems like it failed the contrast and white saturation tests but did well on the others. I don't know what to make of this.
  7. Midnight

Midnight New Member

Came back to this thread to add:

The first test I did seemed fine. I later tried the test site posted and mine also did not do so well with the contrast and white saturation... I'm not going to worry a whole lot about it yet, though. I probably will seldom watch movies anyways. The one movie I have on it now I've only watched maybe 2 1/2 minutes of it as it is. LOL As long as I can surf the web and watch the occasional YouTube clip and such, I'll probably be just fine with it.
  8. toomuchcaffeine

toomuchcaffeine New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    If you do exchange it make sure to restore it because jailbreaking voids your warranty.