Scratches on backplate

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Ronni, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Ronni

Ronni New Member

Hey guys,
    Yes, I know I'm daft coz I didn't put a case on and now I'm regretting it. My backplate is scratched like mad.
    Is there a way to remove the scratches or replace the backplate?
    Thanks..
  2. NeSEncHo

NeSEncHo Active Member

If you really wanted to, you can probably go out and buy a new one on sites such as ifixit and others. Warranties go away with though. To just remove the scratches, someone else might have ideas.
  3. Ronni

Ronni New Member

Oh right, thanks.
    But is opening the Touch hard? I've dealt with opening phones and stuff quite a few times.
  4. NeSEncHo

NeSEncHo Active Member

5. Ronni

Ronni New Member

Oh right - thanks mate...
  6. WhiteNova

WhiteNova New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    i hate having two cases on my ipod. the metal and glass case that came with it is plenty good enough. i took sandpaper to the back, now it has a nice brushed look and it doesn't get scratches.
  7. _Jay

_Jay New Member

Im planning on doing that too. Just got my 2G a few days ago, and the back plate is already scratched up. What grit sandpaper did you use? I don't think I'm brave enough to use sandpaper. Maybe I'll use the scotchbrite sponge.
  8. MikeBoi

MikeBoi New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Bannananananananas

Please Register or Log in to view images

Seriously.

Grabe a Banana. a Cloth. Some Window Cleaner.

Cut a Chunk of the banana. Gently Smudge well over blackplate. Then Grabe a chunk of the skin. Rub that all over backplate. Then Spray some Window cleaner onto a cloth. (not one that falls apart xD) And then Gently massage around backplate. Until all banana is gone. You may need to clean again with the windows cleaner to get all of banana off.

Gotta be worth a try?

Works.
  9. .Pandora.

.Pandora. Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)

You're doing it right

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. MusicMeister

MusicMeister New Member

If you want to pull the scratches out there are only 2 things I ever recommend...

1. Brasso - This is designed to polish brass and other metals. In other words, it's designed to remove scratches and mild oxidation. It works VERY well. It's also EXCELLENT to take scratches out of DVD's and CD's.

2. Zymol Cleaner Wax - Much like the Brasso, it's designed to remove minor surface contaminants and oxidation. The advantage is that it smells GREAT and really polishes up nicely.

Everything else might work... but come on... rubbing smashed banana on a piece of delicate electronics? Use products designed for solving these sorts of issues.... you'll find they work FAR better.