Scratchabily of Screen--A Definitive Answer?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by alfordsteven, Sep 16, 2008.

1. alfordsteven

alfordsteven New Member

Hi,

I've read several of the threads on whether the screen on the 2G can be scratched. There seem to be two opposing camps:

(1) Because it's glass, it can only be scratched with something harder than glass. Keys, needles, pens, and other metal objects won't scratch it, so unless you're really abusing it, you don't need to cover the screen with, for example, Invisible Shield (although one should cover the metal back, as it does scratch).

(2) "I don't care what anyone says; I put the thing in my pocket/purse, etc., and it came out scratched." I believe all the people who say that they scratched their screen, but the logic of the first answer seems compelling

Is there a definitive answer to this question? Based on the responses so far, there doesn't seem to be. I'd really like to know, as I have a shiny 2G and (a) I don't want the screen scratched, but (b) I don't want to cover it with anything unless I have to.

Thanks for your responses.

Steve
  2. Joseph

Joseph Retired Moderator

Not sure about the 2G iPod.

But I've had my 1G since october and only have one small scratch so far. I don't use any cover on it.
    Nothing. No case, no skin, no nothing.

Please Register or Log in to view images

The back is another story though.
  3. Rougelead

Rougelead New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    did you happen to be carrying rocks?
  4. XFreeRollerX

XFreeRollerX New Member

Cover it.

here is why I think you should cover it (as I did mine):

1. The screen is unscratchable, yes. But it is not immune to fingerprints, greasy fingers, and a vally girl's 10 layers of makeup. (for iPhone users)
    2. If you drop it on any corner, most good cases will keep cosmetic damage from occurring. Keeping cosmetic damage away can help the resale value of your iPod and keep you loving the spanking new look
    3. Active? Clips or grippy silicone cases will keep your iPod/iPhone from meeting face to face with the ground. For me, I work out a lot, Ive dropped my iPod on the treadmill while running and it ran onto the next person's treadmill.... Thankfully they were only walking as they were able to dodge stepping on it
  5. EvolvedFire2

EvolvedFire2 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I used my penknife on the screen, just to test it for you (Feel lucky)

It has a 3.5 inch blade, i used all my weight, and i couldent scratch it....

So its up to you

If you dont belive me well, its your problem, not mine
  6. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Ok, have you ever been to the Apple Store? Take a look at their iPhones and iPod Touches. Do they have scratches on them? Sure they don't go into people's pockets, but you gotta admit, for being handled by hundreds of hands day after day, some with rings and diamonds etc, it handles pretty well.
  7. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Put it this way:
    Unless you tried to intentionally scratch the glass screen, it probably won't happen.

The back of the iPod touch on the other hand, that's a whole different ball park.
  8. Tman47

Tman47 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    yeah the screen is scratch RESISTANT, not scratch PROOF. if you were carrying a razor blade in your pocket what do you think would happen

Please Register or Log in to view images

however the back is so fragile that if a skin flake falls on the back its trashed.

and i believe theres no difference between the 1st gen and 2nd gen screen