Scratch!

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by jtaylor0913, Jan 22, 2008.

1. jtaylor0913

jtaylor0913 New Member

Well today i brought my ipod touch out of my pocket, lo and behold, there is this HUGE, deep scratch down the center of the screen. Its not too long but i have no clue how it got there. Anyway, I wanted to ask 2 questions.

1. Has anyone used some type of scratch remover. If so can you reccoment me one to get, cause there are quite a few on the maket.

2. If i do use a scratch remover will it make that area of the screen not work for touch?

Thanks alot,
    Jtaylor0913
  2. jonboy

jonboy New Member

I have a scratch too (two actually.) I ordered an InvisibleShield, we will see if it hides it well or not.

But really...there is no way to remove a scratch. It's really a chip from the glass, you could, potentially fill in the glass, but I don't know how that would work.

I'll keep you posted on the InvisibleShield.
  3. jtaylor0913

jtaylor0913 New Member

So basically what your saying is that using a scratch remover wouldnt work at all. And yes keep me posted on the InvisibleShield please.

Jtaylor0913
  4. walkingslow

walkingslow New Member

scratch remover usually removes surface scratches, not deep chips in glass.

only solution to getting rid of the scratch is to get a new ipod from apple
  5. michigan033

michigan033 Banned

Yeah i have a deep scratch in bottom left part of my screen. I called apple and told them that i have a couple of dead pixels in the screen. so they are sending me a box i dend it to them and they send me a new one. easy as that.
  6. jonboy

jonboy New Member

Don't you think that when they notice that there are no dead pixels and a scratch they will just ship the same one back?
  7. steeped

steeped New Member

They don't even look at the one you send back to them, they just through it in a pile with the other returned iPods and rebuild a new iPod (refurbish it) to sell in stores. If you look at the manual which came with your iPod, they state that it is made from new and refurbished material.

And to the thread starter, but AppleSauce scratch remover, not the actual edible applesauce. It works like a charm.
  8. michigan033

michigan033 Banned

yeah i know a couple of friends that have done the same as me and they get a brand new one back.
  9. jtaylor0913

jtaylor0913 New Member

ok, can you go into more detail of that convorsation that you had with apple. Basically go in to more detail about the whole thing.

Jtaylor0913
  10. steeped

steeped New Member

If your iPod is less than 6 months old (or if you have extended warranty) you can tell the store you have broken pixels, they will look at it, and they will replace the iPod - but you need dead pixels. So what do you do? f*** up your ipod! Throwing your iPod down the stairs won't be covered, but sticking a knife into the iPod ports would be covered (make sure your wearing gloves!!). You tell apple that your iPod can't connect to your computer, and they will replace it for you. This is not sufficient because if you scratch the sides of your ports, they will know you messed around with it.

If I was in your shoes, I would do this:

Call Apple and tell them when you received the box, you opened it up and there was a small scratch on ur screen. You didn't think much of it because it was small and not that noticeable, but then overtime it started getting bigger and now it's annoying.

Now the above is if you just want to get your ipod replaced on the spot. You can send it a perfectly working iPod to apple and they will replace it without looking at it. I would scratch it up just in case they happen to be smartasses, but you can only do this by sending your iPod through the mail. Go to the Apple store and they will set up a delivery truck to deliver the box to you, you place your iPod in this box and then they will take the box and ship it to Apple themselves (This costs $40). In a months time, you will have a new iPod.

Or you can buy Invisible Shield and see if it hides the scratch...