School/public wifi network problems.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by monolith, Oct 24, 2008.

1. monolith

monolith New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Greetings all.

I'm sure this has been asked many times over, but for all the searching I've done both on this forum and on the net in general I've never found a straight answer.

I can't seem to connect to my university's Wifi network on my 16GB 1st gen iPod Touch. I can connect on my home network fine, and I know a few other people with iPod Touches who can connect to the same school network without any problems or special settings.

When I attempt to connect, I get one of those self-assigned, 169.xxx addresses. Once, the first time I tried to connect to the network, renewing the lease solved the problem and everything went swimmingly. Every time after that, no amount of lease renewal, device restarting, etc. fixes the problem.

In case anyone specifically knows about this, I'm at the University of Toronto. The network uses WEP security, and I know the password.

Now, I know that I have to register the MAC address of the iPod in order to connect, but in order to do that I have to get an IP so I can get to the login page online, and I can't even do that (I get a 169.xxx address). Again, I know people who have iPod Touches who simply don't have this problem (ie. they get assigned a working IP address immediately and are able to register their MAC addresses).

Are there any definitive solutions to this problem? I'd appreciate any thoughts anyone has.

- Ivan
  2. Oliver Barker

Oliver Barker New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Have you tried giving yourself your own IP? Sometimes if you get a self assigned one, someone else might take it from you. Thats what happened with my MacBook when i turned my iPod on. So I have fixed ones for each.
  3. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Like said above, when you're being assigned an IP address, you may be having an IP address conflict with other devices using the Wi-Fi connection.

Welcome to iPodTouchFans by the way

Please Register or Log in to view images

I'll be going to Mac.
  4. monolith

monolith New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    By self-assigned one I mean one of those 169.xxx IPs though. The kind the device assigns itself because it isn't getting one from the network.

Is that the same problem you were having?

Thanks for the welcome. I've lurked for a while. Pretty much whenever I needed some info about the thing. This is just an issue I've never seen properly resolved anywhere.
  5. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Yeah, I just realized now that you joined in June.
  6. Marksct

Marksct New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    when you say giving yourself your own ip do you mean just type in a random one? or is there some way to pick one?

i also heard you should put in the DNS 208.76.222.222 to make it connect
    can anyone confirm this?

thanks
  7. monolith

monolith New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Adding that as the DNS server doesn't solve the problem I seem to have.

I'd still appreciate any help on this. I'm sitting currently in my university's library in which the Wifi network is at its strongest and I still get 169.xxx ip addresses. It's pretty annoying to not be able to use this thing for one of its main purposes anywhere outside of my home.