School Network different problem

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mattym, Sep 25, 2007.

1. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I read through the post amde by another forum user about trouble dealing with his schools net. Mine is a bit different. My schoold wireless has no password to connect. However once connected to it on a PC/Mac it would redirect your first open page. Take you to a login screen were you must enter your info and then from there let you surf. The prob is that the iPod Touch doesnt let that page come up. So i decided to type it out manualy. While none of you can access this page im gonna type it out here. http://securelogin.arubanetworks.co...mac=##:##:##:##:##&ip=##.##.#.###&url=http://
    i ommited a few things and i blanked out my MAC and IP. When viewed on my laptop the mac was that of the laptop and the ip was the one i was given on their network. And the site inthe url at the end was my normal homepage. So i typed it out to my ipod and sure enough it pulled up the site. So i entered the login info and at first it said that safri could nat pull up pages with "null". so i went back through and refined some stuff and got it a bit further. It said ther was a popup allow/deny. So i allowed, it pulled up the logout page. So i thought that i was in. So i open a new window and tried to visit google. No luck still had no network connection. Do any of you have a better understanding of the way the mobile safari works so that i may let the schools network pull the site up on its own(the propper way).
  2. pdxubaru

pdxubaru New Member

same problem

I attend Portland Community and I have the same problems. I was thinking it may be proxy server settings, so I set the settings to "auto"- but I don't think it's auto because it asks for a URL... When I get my computer there, I'll figure it out.
  3. Pixeltoy

Pixeltoy New Member

I assume that it is a proxy or .pac file thing. Esp if it is a school network with some type of pseudo security measures in place
  4. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    so what they tell me is is that the school only allows laptops to be given acces to the net. seeing as the iPoT runs Osx i dont see how its not recognized as a simple wifi machine. I also dont see how the hell they can tell its not a laptop. I am currently looking for a hard copy of the terms of use to see why they dont allow non laptop wifi devices on the network. Anyway that asside, in our pre-jailbreak state is there anyway to trick the network into thinking that my iPoT is a laptop type device.

- edit
    is there any way that i can use the fact that they let me acces the router and give me an ip on it to tunnel and use my home internet. I believe this usualy requres a program on the mobile device. If anyone know of a way i can use the fact they let me onto the wireless network in my favor let me know. I have heard of ppl doing this before just never on an ipod.
  5. tsukaza

tsukaza New Member

What is the protocol of the WIFI at your school ? WPA Enterprise, LEAP, PEAP etc? Make a big different. Check your laptop for the security type chosen.

iphone/itouch does not support WPA Enterprise, LEAP, PEAP etc. Only WPA personal

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. pdxubaru

pdxubaru New Member

At school today I just walked up to someone with a windoze box and talked them through pinging the portal. I then put in the IP address of the router and it popped right up... and then I could surf for 30 seconds and then I would need to put my username and password in the portal again... CRAP! but it works I guess...
  7. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i did the same by dialing the router it took me to the login page taht i needed. Only problem is it lets me log in but not sure beyond that. Today ill work on finding what kind of security measure they have in place. ** According to a friend the PSP does work on their network, so that non laptop stuff they fed me was BS, ill get to the bottom of this**
  8. Aciidc0der

Aciidc0der Retired Moderator

the problem isnt with getting inside the WIFI but accessing Internet from it...like the captive portal...
  9. pdxubaru

pdxubaru New Member

Try accepting all cookies. Maybe the 1.1.1 update fixes this. It seems to be a MAJOR problem to me.
  10. Aciidc0der

Aciidc0der Retired Moderator

i think apple wanted to avoid this problems in the first place...thats why theres safari but it seems there are still some bugs to squash