School block Ipod touch from connecting to WiFi?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Splex, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Splex

Splex Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    k so since i got my ipod inm like january, it could always connect to wifi at school, ad i could surf on safari.... but now, i just cant connect, is there some way that they could have blockked all ipod touches from connecting to wifi?
  2. FrozenIpaq

FrozenIpaq New Member

It is possible to have their internet restrict foreign devices, although being able to specifically target an iPod touch, I don't think they can do such.
    1 person likes this.
  3. Splex

Splex Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    hmm ok, is there a way around them blocking it?
  4. FrozenIpaq

FrozenIpaq New Member

There's no way to bypass their "block" with the knowledge you know of it, doing so could be considered illegal anyways

Please Register or Log in to view images

Without knowing the method used..there is only one thing you can do...don't use your iPod Touch at school
  5. Angelic

Angelic New Member

Actually...

A school with any decent WiFi system can block all or part of a MAC address.

If you didn't know, a MAC address has two parts: the OUID, which specifies the manufacturer of the wireless NIC, and the Device ID, which is unique to all devices. The could block all MAC addresses that begin with a certain sequence, but I doubt that would be practical in a school environment.

There are ways to get around MAC filters, if that really is what they're doing (they didn't password it?). Let me know if you have access to any school computer, because you can 'harvest' it's MAC address and spoof your device... fooling the Wireless Access Point.

If you do, get it's MAC address by opening up the Command Prompt and typing "ipconfig /all", or, if it's a Mac, open the terminal and type "ifconfig". Look for a MAC address like ##:##:##:##:##:## (though some could be letters as well). Write it down.

Then, open Term-vt100 on your touch, and type ifconfig en0 lladdr da:ma:ca:dd:re:ss. You will fool the WAP, and be able to access WiFi. Be aware, however, that the computer you got the MA from will no longer be able to access the network, and they CAN resolve your iPod's hostname (so my suggestion is to rename your ipod to something other than "Joey's iPod"

Please Register or Log in to view images

)

Let me know if that works for ya.

NOTE: Your MAC will be reset when your device is reset (thanks Skylar)
    1 person likes this.
  6. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

You beat me to it. One thing I want to add is: don't worry, your MAC address will reset when you next reboot your device.
    1 person likes this.
  7. FrozenIpaq

FrozenIpaq New Member

Angelic - thanks for the info, was unaware that there were two parts to a MAC address that identified the wireless NIC and specific device. I already assumed they could block via Mac address, but doing so would only block that specific device - and doing so is a hassle.

I don't think his school has gone through the trouble to ban the iPod Touch's OUID however seeing how just a handful of students may have one.
  8. Jikoo

Jikoo New Member

its the same in mine, ive never logged onto it. But the inetrent sign thingy comes up but when i try safari or installer it don't work, is there a way i could hack into it, cos i have access to all computers in there
  9. Angelic

Angelic New Member

Agreed. That would be one bored-as-hell Network Administrator.

Open your terminal and type "ifconfig" while you're connected to their network. Post the output.
  10. Splex

Splex Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    sweet every1 thanks, im at school now, but no time today to try any of this, will read all at home, and yes i have access to school comp, i will rep every1 tonight! thanks
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.