Scaling Problems

Discussion in 'iOS Emulators' started by Generic Name112, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Generic Name112

Generic Name112 New Member

I was playing some Pokemon Silver, when the graphical hiccups started annoying me. So I decided to try playing with scaling on. Everything is perfect except when the main character sprite faces towards you, the right half of him is much larger then the left. I don't understand why this happens, but I want to know if this happens to anyone else.
  2. espeorb

espeorb New Member

Odd, playing anything with scaling on always made all of the pixels stretch awkwardly. Even moreso than it did without scaling on. What scaling does is try to stretch the pixels in a not-exactly-perfect way to fit as much of your screen as it can without (usually) making it "fullscreen". Personally I prefer to play with it on as stretched pixels don't bother me, though I could care less about graphics in games in general.
  3. Generic Name112

I understand what scaling does, but on the emulators, scaling makes something strange happen to the main characters sprite. It may not be a big deal, but I don't understand why it happens like that.

Also, scaling fixes small hiccups in the animation, that I guess are caused by the "scene" transitioning too fast.
  4. espeorb

espeorb New Member

That is most likely just a little hiccup in the way it scales it. The right half of the main character's sprite may be displayed incorrectly due to the proportions it's trying reach with scaling on, possibly in addition to a good few other things.

If the hiccups in the animation you're talking about have to do with missing a frame or two during the animations, this is common in the emulators for iPod Touch. At least, the ones I've tried. It's called "frame skip", and can be manipulated when playing on an emulator (particularly VBA) on the computer.
  5. Generic Name112

The hiccups aren't frameskip hiccups, they seem to be more of some kind of rendering issue. They are very hard to notice, but it's normally a tree on the side of the screen shaking or a small ripple down the center. Normal people porbably wouldn't notice it, but those kind of things really annoy me.