SBSettings 3g toggle question

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Baby_Bella, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Baby_Bella

Baby_Bella New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I am just curious... Everytime I go into my SBSettings the Data IP Address always has my numbers on. When I press the 3G toggle it goes off but when I go out and back into my SBSettings... it shows up my address again. Does this happen to anyone else? Can someone explain more in detail of what the 3g toggle does exactly and what the data ip address is? I have wifi so it shows my wifi address on it all the time, I am just worried if I go to download something on my iphone it will start charging me if i go over my data plan.

Thanks
  2. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    If you are connected to WiFi, data will the downloaded through that, rather than your cellphone provider. Your iPhone still needs to maintain a cellular connection, because after all, it is a phone.
  3. Baby_Bella

Baby_Bella New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    ok cool so wifi over-rules if it turns on...
  4. jkb242

jkb242 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    to answer your questions:

3G is AT&T's WCDMA (Wide-Band CDMA)network which they keep telling the world is unique to them. Verizon and Sprint have been operating higher speed data networks for years with 1XEVDO technology far surpassing anyting possible on AT&T's old GSM network. The AT&T 3g network is actually just catching up with the Sprint and Verizon but necessary for you to use if you want higher speed data rates.

The IP address is the dynamically assigned IP address of the packet connection you are using at the time when you place a data sessioin call (Web surfing or anything else)you do on the Macro network that you would do in WiFi mode.

If you have an iPhone its likely that you have the datapakage with unlimited data and its hard to beat the convenience in using the network (because it generally works in most locations) where as WiFi is extreemly limited to fix locations.