Save Image Quality

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by emanuelme, Dec 14, 2008.

?

Do you experience poor image resolution when saved?

1. iPod Touch 1G -- Yes

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. iPod Touch 1G -- No

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. iPod Touch 2G -- Yes

10 vote(s)
    58.8%
  4. iPod Touch 2G -- No

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  5. iPhone 1G -- Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. iPhone 1G -- No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. iPhone 3G -- Yes

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  8. iPhone 3G -- No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. emanuelme

emanuelme New Member

As I'm sure some of you have noticed, the save-image quality from an email attachment or from a web page doesn't display properly. It appears incredibly blurry, as if it is an enlargement of the thumbnail rather than the actual image. Interestingly, the image itself does maintain the quality that you downloaded it as. If you transfer the image to your computer via iPhoto or any other program, it will show the actual image and not a blurry version. More interestingly, when sent back to the iPhone or iPod Touch via iTunes, it will appear normal. This means the problem is limited to how the iPhone or iPod touch displays a saved image.

Now so far as I have researched, this problem has existed back in October and possibly prior to then. So why hasn't apple fixed this problem? As a new owner of an iPhone (and current owner of a 32gb iPod touch 2G, and a 16gb first generation,) I called apple and asked them for help resolving this issue. I was speaking with a woman who placed me on hold to talk with a tech. She promptly replied that the attachment is poor quality. I explained that the image does maintain the quality proven by the iPhone to computer back to iPhone transfer. She forwarded me to the tech who then properly understood the problem. He first said perhaps it was a broken iPhone and I should go to Apple to have it replaced. I encouraged him to try it on his own iPhone (and he tried on a friends,) and promptly responded that although he did notice the problem, a hard reset (multiple times) should fix this issue. Now I know thats ridiculous, but I tried anyhow... and guess what? It didnt work.

I have a recording of the conversation that I will try and post sometime in the next day or so. In the meantime though, if you have the time, please let me know via the poll if you experience the problem (it takes thirty seconds to find an image in safari, save it, and then open it in photos). A firmware update (2.2) has been introduces after the problem has and its a wonder that is hasnt been addressed yet....

Thanks.
  2. Germany

Germany Banned

I have this problem with my iPod Touch 2g. Whether it is in an email or checking a webpage in Safari, they usually have poor image quality. I have found the very large images save well, but anything below say 500 pixels on either side turns out blurry. This is a ridiculous problem and usually defeats the purpose of even saving it on the go when you'll have to look at it on your computer to see it clearly anyways.
  3. TmacHot

TmacHot Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I dont have any problem when saving images from the internet or from the mails....
  4. emanuelme

emanuelme New Member

What product do you have? And when viewed on the product after being saved, the file looks ok?
  5. Wills42

Wills42 New Member

To fix this (Assuming the image is on your camera roll) just open the image in a drawing app (such as Brushes) and then resave. The image shouldn't be blurry anymore. You'll still have to delete the old, blurry image, though.
  6. iatmyhome

iatmyhome Banned

i don't what problem with you but i never happened to it
  7. Wills42

Wills42 New Member

Please learn how to construct your sentences so it's easy for people to understand. Thank you.
  8. jamil_d

jamil_d Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I am on the 3.0 beta and I haven't experianced this problem, even when saving 12800x1024 pictures; however I did have this problem when going on the previous firmwares.

Edit: that's 1280x1024; my iPod won't let me edit it. (3.0 beta bug)