Sargeant Pepper Reviews: Scoops

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Sarcasm Siempre, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Sarcasm Siempre

Sarcasm Siempre New Member

Device:
    iPod touch

Please Register or Log in to view images

We all scream for ice cream.

Quick Facts______________________________
    App Name: Scoops - Ice Cream Fun for Everyone
    Version: 1.6.1
    Seller: Ian Marsh (part of NimbleBit)
    Price: $0.99 (US)
    Category: Games - Family
    Rating: 4+ (This game contains no objectionable content.)
    Official Description: Scoops is an addictive stacking game which puts you in control of a towering stack of ice cream scoops! (Source: NimbleBit)
    Requirements: 2.0 Software Update, EDGE/3G/Wi-Fi connection to post scores to online leaderboards
    Available For: All devices.
    Lite Version: None.

Overview - Gameplay and Such__________
    I first downloaded Scoops way back in 2008. They were giving it away free at the time, and I was getting bored of stifling my study hall boredom with Cube Runner. I thought the concept seemed interesting, so I pressed that little green "Install" button.

The main menu of Scoops is fairly simple. You can choose to either start a game, view high scores (you can switch between your personal bests and the global leaderboard), get some help with the game, or view the other software NimbleBit has to offer.

If you're looking for a game with complex controls that take days to master, go get busy porting World of Warcraft to the iPhone. In Scoops, all you have to do to move your cone is tilt your device left and right. You want to catch the ice cream scoops, obviously, while avoiding the vegetables. Who wants tomatoes and onions in their chocolate? You can only tolerate three vegetables in your massive tower before the game ends.

If you stack a lot of the same kind of ice cream in a row (5 straight scoops of vanilla, for example), you begin increasing the bonus multiplier at the top of the screen. Breaking the streak brings the multiplier down some, but as long as you're catching some ice cream you'll usually have a fairly large multiplier. Rainbow scoops automatically change to whatever type of scoop they land on, so they make it a bit easier to get a large run of the same kind. There are also special "1-Up" scoops, which give you an extra life (maximum of three lives). 1-Up scoops are purple with gold stars, so you'll be able to spot them fairly easily.

Although the gameplay is definitely fun, part of what makes Scoops such an excellent game is the little details. When you barely miss catching a scoop or a veggie, the item in question will begin to tumble downwards, rather than simply falling straight. A crowd will gasp after a brush with vegetable-death. As you build your cone higher and higher, you break through Earth's atmosphere, pass the Moon, and eventually reach into the outer depths of the solar system. And once you get your cone that high, it becomes more sluggish when moving around; after all, quickly moving around a miles-high stack of ice cream is going to be hard to do.

If your score is high enough, you'll be able to enter your initials into the leaderboard by tilting your device and tapping the appropriate letters. There's a high score board for just your device as well as a global list. My screenshot shows the global list; tapping the house icon will take you to the local one.

The Final Rating_____________

Even after 9 months, Scoops is still my go-to game for when I need to get through those last five minutes of Algebra II. It's simple, but the gameplay is highly addicting, and you'll soon be stacking ice cream all the way up to Pluto. Well worth the 99 cents.

Other Apps from NimbleBit______

Bluebird
    Sky Burger
    Hanoi / Hanoi Plus
    Kyper
    Textropolis
    Threads

Disclaimer! The Scoops application is copyright 2008 Ian Marsh. The Scoops logo and icon are copyright 2008 Ian Marsh. I am in no way affiliated with Ian Marsh or NimbleBit, and have not been paid or otherwise induced to write this review. I take no responsibility for any and all problems that may occur with your device as a result of installing and/or using this application. The Scoops banner image, the "5-Star" image, and the "Available on the iPhone App Store" image were not made by me, and I take no credit for them.

Attached Files:

2. -tcq42-

-tcq42- Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Very nice review. You should be in consideration for a MR Team job.
  3. Sarcasm Siempre

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thank you! That's high praise coming from a member of the team.
  4. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    mmm.. ice cream.. nom nom nom

Excellent review! Faultless. Flawless. Fabulous!
  5. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    59p for a game like Topple with less features :\ I dunno... Looks tasty though?
  6. Sarcasm Siempre

Device:
    iPod touch
    I find Scoops to be much more fun than Topple. But I guess it's a matter of personal opinion.
  7. Universal Denizen

Universal Denizen Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Sargeant Pepper! Thanks for the awesome review. I bought Scoops after reading your review and I really love the game!!!