Sargeant Pepper Reviews: Last.fm

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Sarcasm Siempre, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Sarcasm Siempre

Sarcasm Siempre New Member

Device:
    iPod touch

Please Register or Log in to view images

Even the best music gets old.

App Name: Last.fm
    Version: 2.0.1
    Seller: Last.fm
    Price: Free
    Category: Music
    Official Description: Create personal radio stations based on any artist or genre, and listen to commercial-free music for hours. (Source: Last.fm)
    Requirements: 2.0 software update, EDGE/3G/Wi-Fi connection, Last.fm account
    Available For: All devices.
    Lite Version: If there was one, they'd have to pay you to download it. The thing's already free.

Last.fm and Pandora are the two main websites in the "Tell-us-what-music-you-like-and-we'll-play-you-some-stuff-you-might-also-like" business. Pandora concentrates more on the "scientific" similarities between songs, using various elements identified by the Music Genome Project. Last.fm is more of a social site, basing its recommendations on the listening habits of others.

When you first launch Last.fm, you'll be presented with a login screen. If you already have a Last.fm user account, simply enter your username and password, tap "Log In," and you're ready to go. If you don't have an account, simply touch the "Sign Up" button to get one; it's free. Pick a username and password, enter your email if you want to, and then create your account.

Once you've logged in, the main screen of the app will appear, with two tabs at the bottom: "Radio" and "Profile." "Radio" is, well, radio, and it's from here that you can organize all of your personal stations as well as create new ones. The "Profile" tab shows some information about you, such as the artists you listen to the most and the concerts you're attending.

When you create a radio station, you can choose to search by either artist, tag, or user. Tags are keywords such as "indie" or "blues." Users are the other people who use Last.fm; if you like what a particular person's been listening to, you can search for them and create a radio station based on their music. Artists are rather self-explanatory. Results begin appearing as you type; just tap one to start a new station.

Since this is Internet radio, songs need to buffer before you can play them, but as long as you have a good connection it shouldn't take more than a few seconds. Once the track loads, you're presented with some basic controls: a "Stop" button, which will stop playing the station altogether (not just the song), a "Skip" button (unlike Pandora, you can skip as many songs as you want), a "Love" button (which tells Last.fm that it's heading in the right direction with its recommendations), a "Ban" button (which tells it the exact opposite), and a volume slider.

Tapping the "i" in the upper-right corner will bring up a screen with a short, community-edited bio of the band you're listening to. From this screen, you can also see the band's tags, artists that Last.fm thinks are similar (tap to create a radio station based on one), a list of the band's upcoming concerts, and a list of the band's top listeners on Last.fm. As you can see, the "Events" tab has a slight graphical glitch, but it's nothing major and certainly doesn't hinder the section's usefulness. The "Events" tab can also be reached by tapping the red "On Tour" banner that appears over a song's album artwork.

Attached Files:

2. Sarcasm Siempre

Device:
    iPod touch

If you decide you like what you're listening to, you can tap the gear icon in the center, which will bring up a menu with various options. The "Share" button allows you to send an email to yourself and/or your friends, telling you and/or them about the great new song you've just found. The "Tag" button allows you to add tags to the song, so that people can find it more easily in the future through tag-based searches. The "Playlist" button allows you to add the song to one of your playlists; however, I was unable to find a way to actually listen to your playlists within the app itself. And the "Buy on iTunes" button sends you a million dollars via PayPal. (But not really, though. Actually, what it does is search the iTunes Store for the song and lets you buy it, if it's available. I hope you were able to figure that out on your own.)

There are also some settings available in the Preferences application. For those unfamiliar with Last.fm, "scrobbling" is the act of sending Last.fm data about what music you're listening to. This helps it make its recommendations better, since more information is always more helpful. The "Scrobble Radio" toggle tells the app whether or not to take into account the songs you listen to via radio when making recommendations. (Note that the Last.fm app does not scrobble songs played via iPod.app. See the "More Stuff" section of this review for information on how to make that happen.) The "On Tour Indicator" toggle turns the red "On tour" banner off or on, which can be useful if you don't care about live concerts.

If you're stuck in a music rut, you should definitely give Last.fm a try. It makes very solid recommendations, and I've found some of my favorite songs through this app. Its only problems are some minor graphical glitches (the Events Tab) and a relative lack of variety in its music compared to Pandora; after a while, it'll just start playing the same songs over and over. Other than that, however, it's definitely an excellent way to hear some new stuff, and you can't argue with that price.

The official Last.fm website
    The official support page for the Last.fm app
    An iPhone advertisement featuring Last.fm
    A Member Review Team review of Pandora, the main alternative to Last.fm

Several applications are also available in Cydia to scrobble songs played via iPod.app. Search "scrobble" in Cydia for more information. Also, there are a variety of applications available for your computer to scrobble music played via iTunes and other software; the official, open-source desktop scrobbling client is available here for Windows, OS X, and Linux with an FAQ available here.

Disclaimer! The Last.fm application is copyright 2008 Last.fm, Ltd. The Last.fm logo and icon are copyright 2008 Last.fm. I am in no way affiliated with Last.fm Ltd., and have not been paid or otherwise induced to write this review. I take no responsibility for any and all problems that may occur with your device as a result of installing and/or using this application. The Last.fm banner image, the "4-Star" image, the "Available on the iPhone App Store" image, and the original speech bubble images were not made by me, and I take no credit for them. (I do, however, take credit for adding the text to the speech bubbles.)
  3. iamkewl

iamkewl Banned

Wow. I didn't know there was a Last.fm app!

Thanks, awesome review!

*goes to download*
  4. Sarcasm Siempre

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks! Glad I could help.
  5. iPod Touch™

iPod Touch™ Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Nice Review!
  6. Sarcasm Siempre

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks! By the way, since this is only my third review, critique is more than welcome.
  7. iPod Touch™

iPod Touch™ Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I think you may want to add more information to your paragraphs otherwise great job!

8. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    I'm loving the bubbles for the headings of the sections. Nice review

9. 10thzen

10thzen New Member

but do we need to pay in order to listen to the radio?

Cos i thought lastfm impose a fee for those who wanna stream their music..
  10. Sarcasm Siempre

Device:
    iPod touch
    Um... no.