Samsung: iPhone 4's retina display is nice, but it's no AMOLED

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dunuck, Jun 12, 2010.

1. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch

Please Register or Log in to view images

Samsung seems to have taken exception to a little sidenote made by Steve Jobs during his iPhone 4 announcement at WWDC10 this Monday. While waxing poetic on the virtues of IPS, Jobs let us know that he considers it an entirely superior display technology to OLED, and now the world's biggest display maker has a few words to say about it. According to a Samsung spokesperson, the high-res retina display on the iPhone 4 offers only a 3 to 5 percent advantage in sharpness over its own Galaxy S Super AMOLED screen, but sucks down a wasteful 30 percent more power. Moreover, Samsung believes its screens offer better viewing angles and contrast on true black, and concludes by saying that "structurally, IPS LCD technology cannot catch up with AM-OLED display technology." And here we thought Samsung and Apple were getting along so well.

Via Electronista
    Source: engadget
  2. SpoonIsTooBig

SpoonIsTooBig Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I'm not to bothered about power consumption. I just want a good screen.
  3. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    While I was reading that. I thought about iPhone's having 3d screens for some reason.
  4. Jayden

Jayden Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    That would be cool. And you could play 3D Games :O I think developers already have made 3D Apps

5. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah still i prefer the iPhone 4
    But got to admit it would have been nice to have an AMOLED screen 30% less power consumption sounds tasty

6. nickswitz

nickswitz New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    The problem with the AMOLED is I believe, I may very well be wrong, but I believe that it would not be able to cheaply be condensed to the smaller pixel sizes that the Retina display offers.
  7. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    That's actually only applicable to situations where the screen has to display darker colors mostly. If it has to display white or bright colors, the power consumption would actually shoot to many times higher than that of LED.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_LED#Power_consumption

The only advantage to OLED would be true black color because... it just simply turns off the nodes that are supposed to display black. But aside from that, it uses the same amount of power or more than LED in most cases. Unless most of the screens on the device are texts and images on black background. When viewing websites, such as this one, OLED would murder your battery life...

You can read reviews about Samsung's AMOLED devices and see if their battery life is any better than that of other devices with LED screens.
  8. ipodreviewer1000

ipodreviewer1000 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    OT: Appledont seem to be getting on with anyone lately xD.
    anyway,I still prefer the iPhone screen over the Samsungs IMO Iphones screen is alot more smoother and easier to use as a touch screen.
  9. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    That all nice (though a bit exaggerated)
    But this it is all about AMOLED http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active-matrix_OLED and SUPER AMOLED http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_AMOLED
  10. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Same problem.. not exaggerated, just suppressed. i think you should read more?

So same problem. Just for the record, the iPad's screen consumes a max of 3.5W at its highest brightness, and under 1W at its lowest. So imagine how much the iPhone 4's screen power consumption would be. Steve is not just exaggerating this when he was talking about IPS vs OLED.

Super AMOLED just means that the touchscreen is integrated into the display so the power consumption of both is reduced, not that Super AMOLED has to necessarily consume less than AMOLED as a screen, by the way.

Fun fact: Samsung is the company that makes the iPad's screen. And it might also be the supplier for iPhone 4's screen...

http://www.9to5mac.com/samsung-displays-ipad-3420963243

I know. Ironic...