Safer and easier Mac Jailbreak

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.x Jailbreak' started by mrdonk, Oct 13, 2007.

1. mrdonk

mrdonk New Member

I'm proposing a new method for doing this that would be easier and safer for Mac users based on my experience Jailbreaking my touch.

I had the SSH problem using dropbear, but fixed it by redoing everything using my own method, which I'll describe here.

The main advantage of this is it avoids the dreaded ssh connection refused problem.

1) Follow 'normal' procedure up to the point where you getfile rdisk0s1 using iPHUC
    2) In Finder rename rdisk0s1 to rdisk0s1.dmg.
    3) Double-click it to mount it.
    4) Replace or modify fstab as with the other guides, this will make your file system writable.
    5) Replace or modify Services.plist as with the other guides. (I'm not 100% sure if this is necessary, but it shouldn't hurt)
    6) Run the springboard patch (springpatch)
    7) Copy Installer.app to the /Applications folder
    8) Eject the Snowbird image
    9) In iPHUC putfile rdisk0s1.dmg /dev/rdisk0s1
    9) Restart the touch
    10) You should be almost done by this point. You should see 1 new icon, which is the Installer.
    11) Use Installer to install the following packages (in this order):
    - community sources
    - BSD subsystem (takes a long time)
    - Open SSH
    12) Follow other guides from the ssh into your touch section.
  2. Captain Slow

Captain Slow New Member

Can anyone confirm that this will work. Ive already had a scare trying to jailbreak it. Don't want to have another one.

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. mrdonk

mrdonk New Member

The main benefits of this method (for those who know what's going on), are:
    1) It's less error prone, because you let Installer.app install the ssh service
    2) You don't have to do the hack to set all the permissions (i.e. overwriting the update application with chmod), you just set the permissions in finder/terminal.

If there's any experts out there who'd be willing to reproduce this, I think it would lead to a much safer process, especially for beginners.

I'll be checking here periodically for the next couple hours if anyone has questions.
  4. luslips

luslips New Member

I am not an expert, but I can verify that this process does work, because I followed install from here http://www.touchdev.net/wiki/Jailbreak_Guide - and it worked like a charm. My problem was that I didn't know that I could install SSH from the installer and ended up using Independance to install SSH on my touch. I smacked myself when I realized what I did/didn't do. Everything is working like a charm even got Summerboard 2.11 working.
  5. craigl

craigl New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Beers for MrDonk!

Just wanted to chime in and say this method worked PERFECTLY after trying other methods -- I was having an issue where iNdependance was causing my touch to hang at the apple logo, post-jailbreak. Injecting installer.app into the DMG file absolutely did the trick. I installed OpenSSH, the community binaries, etc. all that way as opposed to manually.

Thanks a ton, Mrdonk!!

-Craig
  6. mrdonk

mrdonk New Member

No problem... you can also install the iPhone apps this way by just dragging and dropping the .app files in step 7 above.