Safely taking apart a 2g iPod Touch...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by R4ds1234, Jun 19, 2010.

1. R4ds1234

R4ds1234 New Member

May 10, 2009
    Well, as luck would have it, (and too many friends playing with my iPod), my power button has been pushed too many times and has recessed into the metal backing. If i push it hard, it'll sense it half the time, but most of the time, it doesn't work. I'm getting by with Activator set to register a double tap of the status bar as "sleep". I still have to practically jump-start it with a cable, as i can't power it on with the power button

I've concluded that i'll have to reseat the power button

Now, i'm no stranger to DIY repairs. I've taken apart my PSP many times over, to replace a sound board (which is also the wifi chip and memory card board, which made it 3 times the price...), and the disc drive, and it works perfectly.

I've taken apart my DS on occasion to clean dust out, and i've taken my PS2 apart to tape down some faulty sensors.

But the iPod touch seems so closed and forbidden, it doesn't seem safe to take it apart and reseat the power button. And even more, all the videos and guides i've watched don't show the exact location of the power switch, and if i have to take it apart, i don't want to take off more than the digitizer...

Has anyone ever gone this deep in and found how much i have to take out to get to the power button? I don't want to take any unnecessary moves that could risk me tearing a ribbon cable or breaking a clip...