Safari tip/trick

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Parm289, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Parm289

Parm289 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    So ive always used firefox and one of the features thats really useful is the url input - you can leave out the .com or .net and firefox will automaically find the site and take you to it. Now, i have never used safari before, as i have never owned a mac and refuse to give up my decked out FF, so i dont know if the full version of safari has this feature. Regardless, i tried this with mobilesafari, and sure enough, typing "ipodtouchfans" in the url box to me to ifans.com. So in the future, you should never have to type .com or .net, although apple makes it so easy with the .com button...but im still very lazy

Please Register or Log in to view images

Also, ive looked at the tips/tricks thread, and dont think this has been posted before.

EDIT: Two more things you may ir may not know:

1. Double tapping the shift button puts the keyboard into CAPS LOCK (the shift button will turn blue when in caps lock).

2. If you tap a link, keeping your finger held down on the screen and scrolling the page (flicking) will "abort" the click. In other words, when you accidentally click the wrong link, just keep your finger held down and scroll the page to remain on the current page.

Hope these tips were helpful and you learned something!
  2. Touch²

Touch² New Member

I do #2 all the time, so thanks!
  3. heyitsnatedawg

heyitsnatedawg New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Wow, this will save me a whole 5 seconds ;D!

But seriously, thanks

Please Register or Log in to view images

!
  4. Parm289

Parm289 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    No problem guys. With my fat fingers, I click the wrong link all the time, so #2 is good for me.
  5. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

The double-tap to shift doesn't work on mine. (1.1.3, tested in Safari)
  6. tipii

tipii New Member

uhm i dont kno if u have noticed but there is a .com button. if thats to much trouble for u to press. hmm. thanks though its a pretty nifty trick
  7. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    The double tap shift/caps lock must be enabled in Settings first.
  8. Dis

Dis Banned

Also, if you hit the status bar in safari, it automatically scrolls to the top of the page :]
  9. Parm289

Parm289 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    @tipii - the tip is useful if you do not know the domain of the site. For a quick example, lets say you didnt know imageshack was a .us site. You can just type in imageshack into the url bar, and safari will automaically add the domain in for you. I think that is very useful.

As for the caps lock thing, im on 1.1.2 and i dont think i had to activate it in settings, although im not 100% sure. It should definitely work on 1.1.3, even if you have to enable it in settings.

About the status bar tip - that was already posted in the general tips thread so i didnt bother to post it here.

Edit: i just checked my settings app, and enable caps lock is a setting option. So yes, in order to use caps lock you must enable it first.
  10. apple_ipod

apple_ipod Member

If you're on a webpage, double tapping the bottom of the screen is like the Pg Dn key (scrolls down a little).
    Works well, if you're reading an article etc.