Safari server on itouch/iphone

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jrcdpm, Jan 8, 2008.

1. jrcdpm

jrcdpm Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Is there something different about Safari on the itouch/iphone compared to Safari on a MAC? I am asking the question because I can access my Microsoft Outlook folder with e-mails by going to the mail server exchange on my Macbook, but when I try to do the same thing on my itouch, after inputing my username and password, the connection is never made. A co-worker has the iphone, and has the same problem. That is why I am wondering if there is any difference in Safari on these devices as compared with Safari on my Macbook.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
  2. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

It might be because the iPod touch doesn't have VPN. Does the email server use VPN?
  3. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Actually, the only way you can access Exchange Servers is via turning on IMAP, I believe. http://www.gearlog.com/2007/06/ms_on_iphone_exchange_imap_is.php

Or are you talking via webmail? I've got Microsoft Outlook webmail for my company and I've no problems using it... However, I only get the plain (not "fancy") version of webmail...
  4. jrcdpm

jrcdpm Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks. I am talking about Exchange. I will speak with our IT department about turning on IMAP on the exchange server. Another interesting thing is that I have it set up in Mail on my jailbroken itouch and it connects through the WIFI when I am physically in the building, but will not connect through WIFI at locations outside of the building, e.g. at home. My AOL account works fine through all WIFI connections.
  5. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well, that would kind of make sense in terms of not being able to connect outside of the building. You're outside of your "intranet" at that point - you'd need to also talk to them about VPN access to get into your email when you're away from the office...
  6. jrcdpm

jrcdpm Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    They turned on IMAP today and it works like a charm now.

Thank you for the advice.
  7. norad110

norad110 New Member

Mail client and WEBMAIL

Can the iTouch mail client hook to the MS Outlook Webmail client, not via web browsing?