Safari page cache too small

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Darlyn, May 18, 2008.

1. Darlyn

Darlyn Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I was wondering if anyone else was suffering from content disappearing in previous tabs. After about 30 seconds of browsing on one tab, I have to reload any page I was on in the previous tabs. My iPod's been doing this for as long as I can remember.

Is there some sort of fix to this? Anyway to increase Safari's file cache limit? (in 1.1.2, by the way.)
  2. ibitapple

ibitapple New Member

its that way for everyone and i dont think theres a fix
  3. lvlln

lvlln New Member

I concur, this is a major problem that just about breaks mobileSafari. Seriously, the amount of data needed to store a few pages is nothing compared to the videos an iPod Touch can hold and playback, so why is this problem there?

What's worse and completely unacceptable is the fact that when the cache is lost, the back/forward data is also lost.
  4. optimo

optimo New Member

the device never `holds` an entire video in memory, it's always streamed from disk, typically in .5 secs interleave

the amount of data needed to hold a few webpages can be very large. remember that a compressed jpg image takes up the same display footprint as a bitmap, despite the smaller storage space. device only has 120MB of space to mange all the running processes and apps.

the back/forward data is the first to get released for obvious reasons, but there are mobile-friendly websites that cater to this format. most sites are bloated in one way or another (consider all the javascript that is loaded up on most rich web, you never `see` this data, but it's always present
  5. lvlln

lvlln New Member

Sorry, but if Apple were at all competent, they would've found ways around any of the problems. Even assuming that the amount of storage required to cache a few websites were that large (which it isn't - the average website's probably gonna have a couple MB of images, while the html filesize is negligible), they could easily access the larger sector of the drive to save the cache data if there's ever too much.

Furthermore, there is NO reason why the back/forward data should be lost when the cache is lost. As I mentioned before, this is a far worse problem. The back/forward data can be stored as a series of URLs - you could literally visit a hundred sites on a dozen different tabs and still be under 1MB in amount of data required.

And I thought the iPod Touch and the iPhone were supposed to give you the "Internet in the palm of your hand?" Why should Safari have these boneheaded limitations that websites have to find workarounds for?
  6. iSecks

iSecks New Member

Sorry for bumping this, but I just wanted to say, 1.1.4 handles websites WAY better, and I've only experienced the cache clearing to make room when I have 8+ pages open so far.