Safari fixes in 1.1.3

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.3 Discussions' started by lvlln, Jan 15, 2008.

1. lvlln

lvlln New Member

One thing I haven't seen any mention of about firmware 1.1.3 is whether or not they fixed any of the bugs in Safari and/or added any tweaks or changes.

Obviously, I'm referring to Safari's notorious problem with opening new tabs. Or rather, problems.

1) If a link is set to open in a new tab or window, Safari does it just fine, creating a new tab and loading the link in it. However, if you go back to the tab from which the link was clicked, the address bar on the top shows the URL of the link instead of the page, and it acts as if it's trying to load that page (although it never succeeds). The X in the right doesn't work, and the only way to get rid of the address bar is to go to a new page.

2) Semi-randomly, if you leave a tab for too long, it loses the cache of the page it was on and needs to reload it. This is not a problem. What IS a problem is that whenever this happens, the tab ALSO loses every history data that was in the tab. In other words, the forward and back buttons grey out, and there is no way to go back to those pages without finding them in the history menu of the bookmarks.

And when you combine problems 1 and 2, you get the wonderful phenomenon of opening a link in a new tab, then going back to the old tab to continue browsing where you left off, only to discover that that tab now loads the same page as the new tab you just looked at, and that you can't press back to get back to the page you want.

So, anyone with a 1.1.3 know if these have been fixed?
  2. Exodus885

Exodus885 New Member

I doubt it, they probably weren't even aware of some of the things you stated
  3. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Apple is now official hated by me. This just adds to the hate. ha
  4. slyn4ice

slyn4ice New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah I have been noticing these issues for a very long time now and I wonder how the hell Apple is not aware of them YET?? It happens everytime you use Safari, and i mean everytime. At least once per browsing session (and i do use mine alot for browsing).

Obviously, they are more interested in friggin stealing money from us poor iPot owners than actually working on bugs. Can't wait for the SDK to come out and people start writing their own apps.
  5. lvlln

lvlln New Member

Look, Apple may have their heads up their collective asses, but their engineers and programmers aren't stupid (they're likely just malicious). If someone like me notices it, you bet your ass that Apple has noticed it, with their hours of testing and coding. I can sort of understand this problem being present and overlooked for the first few firmware releases, but with the amount of time 1.1.3 has had, I'd expect them to have found a fix for it. Really, these aren't even problems that require a lot of work - these aren't errors in coding, but rather errors in design.

So again, if anyone has updated to 1.1.3, can they confirm whether or not Apple is lazy or not?
  6. adesai

adesai New Member

thank god this happened to you guys too. I thought I was my safari was messed up.
  7. tag009

tag009 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i also want to know if this is fixed, because its been annoying me since day one!
  8. slyn4ice

slyn4ice New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Design issues are much harder to fix than coding issues - so if this is the problem we are screwed.
    Has noone tried it yet?
    i am starting to wish for a firefox port already
  9. cameleon1267

cameleon1267 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I noticed some change in safari 1.1.3. better use of the cache. looks like it keeps the different tabs in cache and doesn't reload the page like before. I didn't have time to search for all the bug and fix. I will let you know if I found some new things
  10. bluetiger20

bluetiger20 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    DAMN! just one more reason im getting impatient and DYING to upgrade to 1.1.3...... come on Apple, release that SDK!

i seriously feel like my life is in limbo without the latest firmware.......