Safari Download Plugin Download Speeds VERY slow?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Deovera, May 23, 2010.

1. Deovera

Deovera New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    When I run the SpeedTest.net App I can get a download speed of 600 KB/s and, immedeately after, when I go to download a video using the Download Plugin, I'm lucky to get 50 KB/s and the connection constantly drops and reconnects no more than 30 seconds after the download starts, causing the download to never complete...

Please Register or Log in to view images

This makes no sense to me since I used to get up to 3MB/s download speeds on everything using my iPod over wireless. We recently downgraded (I know... why the f*** would you downgrade?) our wireless b/g router and the speeds have dropped to the previously mentioned. Is there any way to correct this problem?

NETGEAR sucks dick.

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Blade19

Blade19 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It may not even be your issue it could possibly b the site ur downloading through, that sight may have issues try downloading over another wifi and see if it any better
  3. Airion

Airion Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Same here, I download at 1.6 mbps but i get around 100-200 kbps... or lower!
  4. badboy.mjk

badboy.mjk New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    I have speeds of 8mbps and a page loads within the second on the iPod but if I download anything even using Install*** SDM takes forever to even start a download.
  5. iLove

iLove Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    This is because, internet is sold to you by your internet service providors (ISP), in megabits, not megabytes... Which means when you buy whatever service, for example 20mbps broadband, really the maximum, download speed you can acheive is 20/8= which is 2.5mbps
    If you think, the other computers in the house, and what they're running on the internet, taking that bandwidth, and take into consideration the upload is as well, as it all goes down the same line.

SpeedTest.net also, uses very quick servers, with no throttling, and no download speeds caps etc etc. So the speed, it gives you is the very maximum. Lets say you went onto an MP3 website, they will probably, limit how fast you can download and the connections you can have to their servers.

I doubt this a problem with the Sarafi download plugin, if it is. Then install it using Cydia. Re-install it. If you still think it's the same problem, then re-jailbreak and install it and try more.

Although, i'll look into netgear as there could be a setting in your router effecting it somehow, but i doubt that too.
    If anything, upgrade your internet connection, or use quality websites.
  6. sageDieu

sageDieu Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It all depends on the server you're using and how much free space you have on your device. You have a 16gb device, say it has 3GB left on it and you want to download a video. That isn't really a lot of free space, and the small/weak drive in your device has to write the file to different parts of the drive to try and save space. It's called fragmentation. Also, you may be using a slow or high-traffic server. Try dowbloading the same thing with a computer and see how it goes.