Rules discussion thread

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by bgizzle, Jun 20, 2008.

1. bgizzle

bgizzle Administrator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Any questions or comments about the official rules can go here.

FAQ

• Does disagreeing with someone or not liking a release mean that I will be banned?
      No, as long as you are respectful in your disagreement or criticism.
    • Do my old infractions and rule reminders apply to this new system?
      No, everyone starts with a clean slate starting from Friday, June 20, 2008.
    • Are links to image hosts and file hosts ok?
      Yes
    • What if a moderator goes crazy and bans everyone?
      That moderator will be relieved of their duties and I will reinstate the banned accounts.
    • Why are infractions publicly viewable?
      This serves the dual role of making it more shameful to break rules while at the same time providing transparency into whom we are banning and why, so that the members can verify that the staff are being fair.
    • Will I be banned if....?
      Use your common sense and re-read the rules. If it would be fair to ban someone else doing that, then you would be banned.
    Just remember to stay on topic, be courteous, and not spam, and you will be fine.

Here are some level-headed posts from members who understand the point of these rules:

2. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    It's about time, thanks Bobby and to you Alex and Dan for helping out.

Quick question, if the double post isn't intentional, such as my iPod touch Reference expanding over 10,000 characters resulting in me having over 7 posts in a row, I won't still receive a "point" or "strike" will I?
  3. hakk79

hakk79 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I don't know. It seems good, but something's I do not agree with :/. Like seriously? A crime and punishment section for everyone to see. Isn't that kind of messed up. Shouldn't it be kept in private?
    osorio11 likes this.
  4. nuckfumbertheory

nuckfumbertheory New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    "
    hey, sit down and listen and they'll tell you when you're wrong
    eradicate but vindicate as "progress" creeps along
    puritan work ethic maintains its subconscious edge
    as old glory maintains your consciousness

there's a loser in the house and a puppet on a stool
    and a crowded way of life and a black reflecting pool
    and as the people bend the moral fabric dies
    then country can't pretend to ignore its peoples' cries

you are the government
    you are jurisprudence
    you are the volition
    you are jurisdiction
    and I make a difference too "

"You Are"- Bad Religion
    osorio11 likes this.
  5. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    im confused about the rules 2, where if u go off topic. does that include off topic chat :confused:

im quite confused now.

so, is it everyone who gets infracted, or is it the guy who started going off topic?
  6. BroadStBullies

BroadStBullies Well-Known Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Can members post in the Crime and Punishment Section? Or can they at least comment on 1 of the Threads wwritten by a moderator.
    osorio11 likes this.
  7. scorpion 55

scorpion 55 Banned

I like these rules
    they are safer and to keep away from noobs
  8. bgizzle

bgizzle Administrator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    No, double-posting in order to create guides, howtos, etc. is exempted.

By having this in the public view, our hope is that fewer people will break the rules since they will not want to be embarrassed in front of the other members

No, it does not include the Off-topic sections. The people banned will be at the moderator's sole discretion

Members may comment in existing threads, if they wish, though I doubt that it will be necessary, and all of the rules apply in this section too, so going off-topic or flaming in this section will also get you banned.
  9. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I believe that it shows as an example, and it proves that if you don't want everyone to see what you've done wrong, then you shouldn't do it in the first place.

Also, this section of the forum (Crime and Punishment) should be locked for creating threads, as I'm assuming you don't want users to create a thread in this section.
    osorio11 likes this.
  10. yoyorks

yoyorks Member

this seems really harsh guys. no negative comments? i can't say, "this seems really harsh guys"??
    what has this forum become? i love it so much, and see the necessity for banning those that give cracked apps and such, double posting, should just be a warning. there are many people who don't know how to edit posts in the beginning, so explaining it to them, rather than banning them for a full day would be more helpful. and shouldn't off topic comments be at discrestion of the moderators? say im talking about the rules and i say "So, i like ipod touch fans forum," i'll get a 1 day ban? that is ridiculous.

please, please don't turn this site into a big brother scenario, where free thought isn't even allowed, and any contrary opinions that the mod's opinions will be eliminated.
    -jinndtonic
    join date 10/2007
    osorio11 likes this.