Rounded Edges on Custom Icons? Corner Transparency Help!

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by techninja, Aug 3, 2008.

1. techninja

techninja New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Ok, so I was trying to make my own custom icons for my iPod Touch (Firmware 2.0), but as replaced them with the originals (I used WinSCP to get into my "Applications" folder) I noticed that none of my icons had the rounded edges that I'd anticipated. Instead, I found that they contained the original rounded looking image, only that they were surrounded by nasty little white corners.

What am I doing wrong? I tried making the corners white in Paint Shop Pro (assuming that that was the transparent color) as well as using PSP's eraser tool to create an ACTUAL transparent background.

Is this because .png files don't retain their transparencies or am I just a total noob begging for negative responses?

Thanks for reading!

Techninja
  2. broti

broti New Member

Hey I found this on another site. I take no credit. Just tryin to help

NOTE: ***THIS TUTORIAL MUST NOT BE COPIED OR REPOSTED ON ANY OTHER FORUM OR THREAD, AND ANY ICON RELEASE USING THIS TECHNIQUE MUST BE CREDITED TO ME.****

Hey guys, I'm gonna teach you how to make your icons for your "squared" apps, and walk you through the whole process, up to applying the icon to your apps!

1. First, get the 512x512 icon from iTunes for the app you want to make a rounded icon for.

2. When you've done that, open it in Photoshop.

3. Now select the whole image using +A or ctrl+A.

4. Now go to the select menu and go into Modify>Smooth.

5. Set the sample radius to 50.

6. Now invert the selection using +shift+I and press delete/backspace to remove the corners.

7. Use the magic eraser tool to make the corners transparent.

8. After that, make the image smaller by pressing +minus and drag the window out until you see a good amount of grey around the image.

9. Now drag a circular marquee around the upper area of the image so there is an curving arc in the middle.

10. So now keeping the selection, enter the image menu and into Adjustments>Exposure.

11. Set the offset value to +0.0699 and then press OK.

12. Finally, go to image>image size and change the width and height to 57x57.

13. Now save it on your desktop and there you have it! a lovely replacement for square icons!

Now the hard part is done. All you need to do now is to apply the icons to your apps! Here is how you do that.

1. First of all, connect to your iPhone via SSH.
    2. Navigate to the root level and go into /Applications.
    3. Find the folder of the cracked app that has a square icon and open it up.
    4. Find icon.png/Icon.png/ICON.png and rename it to Icon.png.bak
    5. Now change the name of the modified icon on your desktop to Icon.png and copy it into the app folder.
    6. Now you can reboot your iPhone and enjoy your new icons!

Feel free to use this tutorial for your own personal use, but if you intend to use this tutorial to make icons for release, this should be done with credits to me.

If you want me to make an icon for you, feel free to reply to this post and give the EXACT name of the app you wish for me to make.

Have fun!

Last edited by superpop07 (Today 01:56)

if you want to see the original post you would prob have to become a member. They have excellent photos of guiding you through this. Just tryin to help:

http://geniusblog.net/appstore/viewtopic.php?id=187

RotiB

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    well the other.artwork causes this to happen. Wait for an updated release of winterboard as that will hopefully fix this
  4. techninja

techninja New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Supposedly it works with photoshop. I can't seem to get my .png files to maintain transparency (I brought some up on MS Word and they had the white corners, too).

Any fixes?

Will GIMP or another free editor fix this? (don't feel like spending another $300 on some custom icons).

Thanks